Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
donut and I are friends and both live in the same town. His imac has been acting up with kernal panics. He posted it in the mac help and troubleshooting room and most people said it was ram. The system profiler says he has PC 100 when he shold have PC133

I was going to take 128 out of my tower and we were going to put it in donut's to see if the fixes the kernal panic problem. But I went to system profiler on my G4 and it says I also have PC 100? It says all three of my chips are PC100. Whats the deal? I know I have PC 133, it is easy to open my machine and see. I have 2 x 128 chips and a 512. Both 128's say PC 133 on them but my 512 does not (but i am 100% sure it is). But just to be sure I took it out and booted off my 2 x 128's and it still says PC 100.

What does other people computers running panther say?
Is this just a panther bug?

Thanks

[ December 05, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, my tower is as slow as hell with only 256. Time to shut it down and pop my 512 back in. If you don't have enough ram and you system is slow. Get more RAM!!! It will make a big difference.

After more looking aroung I managed to find this thread and this one on other boards.

[ December 05, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

G

·
If you use Generic RAM, the Profiler can sometimes see it as incorrect RAM type - which has no effect on the RAM performance whatsoever. If your tower is a 533 MHz DA, it has a 133 MHz system bus, which means you are indeed using (and require) PC-133 SDRAM.

What the Profiler says means absolutly nothing - you are using PC-13 SDRAM, end of story; despite what the Profiler tells you. If you were using PC-100, your RAM would be overclocking in speed, producing more heat, and you'd be experencing numerous problems.

Also, lot's of RAM is backwards compitable - for instance, in my iMac, it reads it as not "PC-100" or "PC-133" - it reads it as "PC-100/PC-133." - Some RAM can work at both PC-100 and PC-133 standards without a problem. If yours is like that, it may just show it as PC-100 (but works at PC-133 standards). It's a possibility.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My imac has a 100mhz system bus, yet Apple says to only install pc133 RAM ( here ) or I will have problems with the performance and/or reliability.

It has pc133 installed yet the profiler says pc100. I think it is a generic brand (was installed after I purchased the imac). If I continue to have problems with Panther and my RAM I may be forced to buy new RAM or a new imac (20 inches...yummy).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts