Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am also a member of the "Panther Clubhouse", but rather than adding my name there, I thought it would be useful to start a thread for identifying things they found it improved and/or broke from earlier X systems. (If there already is such a thread, I apologize for starting a new one.) In my case, I bought the family pack, but have thus far only installed it on my iMac G3/400. I used the Archive and Install command, just in case I had problems. Installation took about 45 minutes, and there were no problems, other than my forgetting to not install all the localizations. (Delocalizer took care of that afterwards.) The best thing about Panther is that it speeds up startup, shutdown and application startup times, window manipulations and application startup and response times. The iMac definitely feels faster on Panther than Jaguar. I have a wireless connection in my home with a Cube. My settings were preserved and the connection works flawlessly, although it likes the Finder route better than the "Connect to Server" route. I have several Unsanity shareware programs (Fruitmenu, Labels X) which don't yet work on Panther, but the author has versions in beta testing and claims they'll be available this month or next. The biggest problem I ran into is that the alarms and quick functions of Now Up-to-Date don't work, and the company claims they won't be ready until sometime in December. This has forced me into using iCal for the first time, and though it lacks some of the more sophisticated functions of Now Up-to-Date, I have to admit it's not bad. I'll be installing Panther on my G4/867 today or tomorrow and trying out more of its functions. I'll report problems (if any) on this thread. I hope others will do the same; there hasn't been as much out yet about Panther problems in the usual places (MacNN and Macintouch) as I would have liked to help people decide whether and when to install Panther.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts