Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used latest version of XPostFacto 3.0a9 (alpha).
Read through the forums first; necessary to disable cache in Options in XPostFacto panel before install(don't worry, it's enabled after installation). Install time was under an hour.
Works great, Exposé iz zippy... now to try Panther on Beige

·
Registered
122 Posts
wow!

What version Wallstreet do you have?

I have a 300 mhz and seriously want to try this. I downloaded XPostFacto the other day but then thought maybe I should hang on for a bit to see what others say.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Congratulations, HJS!

I too have experienced successful installs in both my G4 Sonnet powered FrankenMac 8600 & 9600. The performance jump using Panther is a very pleasant surprise. Thank goodness for folks like Ryan at OWC and his XPostFacto installers.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spinz, this was on a WS 300 as well; been running X on it since the beta, and it keeps getting better.
This was an upgrade install, on the Wallstreet I have for sale (see Trading Post). I have too many apps, extras on my 300 not yet compatible with Panther, that I haven't or can't upgrade yet, to install it there.
The XPostFacto forums are open for browsing now; I'd suggest reading through the posts there for tips, etc. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Be aware.. if anything happens to that machine and you bring it into a service dept, they will not look at your machine since it does not have a correct OSX installation.

But, it is really sweet to see you can do this..

RtC

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RTC??? Which service dept.? BMac???
Do they even know what a Wallstreet is? Of course, all the normal disclaimers, precautions, Mac Nanny warnings apply... ;) This is just the Alpha of XPostFacto, after all.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I owned a wallstreet... I know what a wallstreet is.. had a SCSI plug on the back.. with no USB.. the black suit style powerbooks. with the dual bays.. did not use the daughtercard type processors.. had a nice internal layout.. one of the best machines I've ever owned...

I just thought I would mention it.. but I find your testing cool.. I would like to see that machine sometime.. see how it runs with Panther..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
122 Posts
So now how is Panther compared to OS 9 on the wallstreet?

I have 192 ram and don't really want add anything to my Wallstreet to make it work with Panther.

Basically I just would like it to be a bit more compatible with my desktop G4 so I can share itunes and have them networking a bit better. But i don't think i can really afford to sacrifice much speed on the Wallstreet.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Rick... Wallstreets are so out of warranty now that I couldn't imagine any one taking theirs to service depot.

I sold my Wallstreet in the summer and it was quite happily running Jaguar.... this is great news for Wallstreet owners.

I'd love to see how Expose runs on a Wallstreet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts