Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XPostFacto 3, once it's finished, should allow Panther to be installed on "unsupported" machines, like the Wallstreet, Beige G3 and older machines with upgrade cards. A few people have already had some success on 8600's, etc. with the alpha version available now: XPost Facto

Also should add support for firewire booting, etc.

Vive le Quebec! Why did that forum get dropped? What happened to the jobs forum?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
HJS - Both due to lack of participation. There just wasn't much happening in either. (The French one however was much more busy then the Jobs one.)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad, though the French shouldn't be ignored or made to feel left out.
I had a number of friends with limited English ability that I had recommended ehMac to, and they were disappointed when the forum disappeared. And it seemed like the Jobs forum was just starting to get a bit active...Ah, well, c'est la vie en ehMac, Canada, eh?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
HJS - ehMax did say it will come back, as know in my history on this forum, this was the second attempt to get it working. Better then last time, but my guess is that when enough interest is shown, the 3rd try will work.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
OS 10.3.1 is now running splendidly on my 9600/G4/450!

... thanks to XPostFacto.

NOTE: After spending a little time in Panther, I'm sad to report the performance level is significantly less than when booted into 10.2.8, system wide. An Xbench test indicates a 25% decrease in all areas. I'm anxiously awaiting installer software from Sonnet to see how it performs.

But Panther DOES work and all features are available.

[ November 23, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Mississauga ]

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I just installed panther on a friend's iMac DVSE -- an upgrade from mac OS 9.0! :eek: Big job in one shot: Brought the RAM up to 512MB, updated the firmware, wiped the drive and installed 9.2.2. Then, Panther. And , after all this time (she bought his iMac new), her folders were a mess!

Anyway, it runs pretty darned well! I was VERY surprised!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got my copy of Panther. I am running Jaguar on an Imac 500 and on an original bondi blue 233, both with good results. Don't laugh. except for video playback the bondi blue runs beautifully for what I use it for. Has anyone put Panther on these types of machines and with what results? How about a Wallstreet? I know these wont take advantage of all the features but you gotta love the appearance and stability.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Can you install Panther on the Wallstreet.. I thought you had to have a model with a built in USB port? I know you can install Panther on the Lombard and the Pismo.. but I think the Wallstreet is out of the question... can anyone affirm this?

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. As for the other two machines, they should both run Panther well with lots of ram...

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
You can install it.. but it is not an Apple supported machine...

There has to be a reason for Panther not being installed on pre USB machines....

Cheers,

RtC

G

·
I installed Panther v10.3.1 on my iMac DV 400 MHz w/640 MB of RAM and it runs like a charm. Not at all surprised, however; since Jaguar ran well before Panther, and Panther as most of us know improves OS X performance under G3-based machines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts