Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beige G3 with 768 MGs RAM and processor speed around 430 (as per the profiler). I am told that with XPostFacto I could possibly install Panther. I already have a partitioned drive with Jaguar 10.2.8. It works. It' s slow.

Would installing Panther be worth the drive to Acton? And/Or am I asking for trouble technically trying to push an older machine?

PS I am not a techie.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I, too, am interested in this topic. I am also interested in ehMac members' experiences with Jaguar on a Beige G3 - I would like to set mine up to convert vinyl to CDs and to run iTunes with all it's neat stuff.

Maybe not? :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I know a couple of people that now have Panther running on Beige G3s via XPostFacto. They all say that it is faster than Jaguar, but has some odd quirks[1] such as all their RAM showing up as only one DIMM.

[1] Nothing that you can't live with though.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It can be done via xPostFacto, indeed. I did it myself, and it runs better than Jaguar - much better, no, but better it does. However, sice Panther is not supported on the Beige G3, you will see strange things like PosterBoy pointed out; such as all your RAM as a single massive DIMM. Whether or not it's worth is - probably not. I just did it because I'm a true Mac geek. :D

Better and faster than 9.1?
Yes, 9.2.2 is better than 9.1 - 9.2.x adds more support to the Beige G3 and adds new video drivers and other good updates.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Jaguar runs great on any Beige, better on machines with at least 300mhz and 256mb ram. Finder copying/networking is faster than 9.2.2(which is faster than 9.1), browsing in Safari is faster than any browser in 9.x, etc. and there are new apps that are X only. For example, VLC will play almost any .avi file without conversion, unlike tricks necessary in OS9.x.
I've installed Panther on a few Beiges and Wallstreets now, and it is faster than Jaguar. On a beige G3/500 with Radeon 7000, 288mb ram, apps open in a single bounce, pages load almost as fast as on my G4/900, etc.
Xpost Facto was just updated, to v3.0a11-still an alpha, but works surprisingly well. Does not work with onboard video on Beige, yet-you will need to add a video card-Rage 128 or Radeon recommended. Try it, you'll probably like it :cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Won't work. Don't waste your time.

Even if it did, you would die because of how sllooooooow it would be.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My limited experience with jaguar on the G3. It works. it's slow as I said. Wher it is specifically slow is within Entourage, deleting messages is extemely slow and Photoshop CS works but again on the very slow side. I am used to fast operating machine with 9.2.2 and 768 Mgs of RAM.For what it's worth

·
Registered
68 Posts
On a beige G3, Mac OS 9.2.2 is really the best (and fastest) OS.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everybody for the input on this. Different views and that's OK. I think I will give it a whirl.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts