Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got it installed... seems snappier for the most part, but as expected, the System Profiler doesn't see 1/2 the hardware. It says it has "544 MB" of RAM. On supported machines, it would say "544 MB SDRAM" - doesn't know the type of RAM. As well, it says my G3 has just one (1) RAM DIMM "544 MB" in size. :D

Despite that, though, it is indeed faster than Jaguar was (366 MHz G3 processor).

Oh, one more downside - my maximum resolution is now 1024x768 instead of 1152xXXX -- what's with that? After installation of Panther, my available resolutions disappeared for some reason. I guess that's what I get from installing Panther on unsupported machines. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
So I am curious whether your move to Panther (from Jaguar I presume) was "worth the drive to Acton". I have a beige G3 with processor speed at 433 and have Jaguar as an alternative OS. I like it but it is slow as molasses. Did Panther make a substantive speed difference (now that I presume you have had time to use it).

I have also heard that one was supposedly not able to put Panther on a G3 without the assistance of XpostFacto. How did you install Panther?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have also heard that one was supposedly not able to put Panther on a G3 without the assistance of XpostFacto.
That is correct - you do need XpostFacto to install Panther on unsupported machines.

As for the speed, that really is opinion-based. Panther made OS X run faster than Jaguar ever did, but not by a long stretch. It really depends on what you think it decent. What you may find slow I may find totally acceptable. Opinion-based completely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts