Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard mixed reports about the speed of panther on a G3. anyone intalled it onto their G3 based comp? i want cold hard facts before i upgrade.

thanks!

Phil

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Gui is way faster than Jaguar thats the main speed increase. The Finder is very responsive and it almost feels like 9 again (speedwise). This os will breathe new life into your older G3's

On one note as I understand it non USB macs are not supported by Panther so a beige G3 and an upgraded 7300 wont be able to use it, I would double check the apple site.

This is what OSX should have felt like from the beginning.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great! now i just wish i didn't have to pay that pesky rent on my apt. so i could splurge on panther.

p.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I too would love to hear testimonials. I am interested specifically on what the difference is on a B&W G3. Mine should arrive any day now and I would like to know if I should get Panther right away or if is something that could wait (Christmas and my birthday are both coming up).

·
Registered
39 Posts
aparantly panther doesnt support non usb macs. that is, beige g3's and older arent supported, even if they have a usb pci card, my dad has tried it to make sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Multiple post (echo) edited via Heart

[ October 25, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Heart ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Whoa... echo.
LOL - I was going to say the same thing.

Getting back to the topic, I'm hearing some good stories here. I can't wait to install it on my iMac DV 400 and see the difference. :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
manchovie, the makers of XPostFacto have said that they're going to try and ensure that the 10.3 version of XPostFacto works with all of the models it works with right now. Hopefully in a few weeks, they'll have found a work around.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've installed it on an iBook 500 and the speed increase is phenomenal, especially taking into account that my iBook isn't even Quartz Extreme compatible.

I thinks its pretty amazing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was wondering exactly the same thing. I really want to get it, but don't know if the $$ would be worth it considering I'd be putting it on a 7600/G3-300.

With reports like those, I'm excited! Now all we need is the update to XPostFacto...

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Yes, bring on the testimonials! I want to upgrade too

In what aspects is Panther faster? Just the overall feel or are there particular functions that are faster?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I will see how it behaves on a Beige G3 this week, my mac isn't setup at the moment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't play with the heart like that!! You could crush a man with jokes of that kind!!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
At the moment Mac OS X will not install on a beige G3 if you have a PCI videocard installed

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just installed panther on my G3 300 tower and it made a substantial differance. The graphics are much smoother and applications open a lot quicker. I'm still playing around but haven't had any gliches so far.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Music to my ears ram55. :D

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Pismo G3 400Mhz/512MB

Fast, speedy, zippy - these all describe Panther.

Faster, speedier, zippier than Jaguar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts