Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! Today I installed Panther onto my aging Mac and all I can say is WOW! My Mac a G4 450 feels like a Mac G4 1Ghz anything model with Panther. I mean things just fly in Panther, it is incredible how an OS can increase the speed of everything it needs to do. I still can't comprehend how fast everything works in Panther.

For those of you who have older Macs I highly recommend you upgrade to Panther just for the speed alone.

Now onto Safari 1.2
I love this browser now, it actually works and the speed increase in this version is awesome. My online banking works 100% now, and hey Futureshop works finally

Panther has blown my mind and I wish I updated months ago. I can't imagine what the speed will be like when I ugrade to a faster processor later this year. Well done Apple!

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's rather amazing isn't it. I installed Panther on my Pismo 400 and it runs great. Jaguar made me pull my hair out with it's abysmal performance on older hardware such as mine. Frustrated me to the point of switching back to OS9. Panther was my last shot at the whole OSX thing, having supported Apple through the transition with 10.1 and 10.2 purchases and being somewhat less than thrilled. Panther has for the most part restored my faith in the OS...enough with the brushed metal though

·
Registered
143 Posts
hey you're right, future shop DOES work now!

I have the same processor as you in my Cube (G4 450) and I had the same experience... it is much smoother and responsive... even with a paltry ATI Rage128Pro card...

I hope that the speed trend continues with later upgrades... iMovie could use a speed boost...

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I got the same experience when I upgraded to Panther on Wednesday morning! Wow!

My only problem now is how move all of my files and programs from the old drives over to the new one. It looks like I will have to do it folder by folder. A bit tedious but, hopefully, it will result in a much neater system.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Stop telling that kind of thing... Or I'll have to click on that "1-click purchase" button and spend hard earned money! :D

To be honest, AdrianL have the same iBook (G3 900) as me, and didn't have a significant boost of performance. Guess the upgrade is better with older hardware.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Guess the upgrade is better with older hardware.
I agree.

Back to the subject, I installed Panther on my iMac DV 400, and it made it far faster than Jaguar ever made it. Definitely worth the upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts