Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Archive and Installed and it works jim dandy. I had to be a little more selective with my printer drivers (apparently an Epson SP820 is an "Older Printer" so i had to install Epson Drivers 2) though.

How did you install? Did you customise your install?

--PB

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
the more i use panther, the more i see problems

i changed my password and that then set off a whole (key)chain of events

i still think OS 9 is more stable
it works for me and my day to day uses
printing, faxing, email, browsing, database...
the things that help me run my business

i tried both the upgrade method and then the format and install method
both have issues
this "cat" is stil not house-trained yet :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Sour grapes just 'cause you're having problems? My advice: start over and do it right this time. It really is a great OS, and does all those things and more. Back up your data, nuke'n'pave, and install clean and proper.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah yes, the loud refrain of the 9er whiners.

"I am having problems so OS X sucks"

It sounds to me like you are having a PEBCAK error. Instead of ranting about how much it sucks why not say "this is what is happening, can anyone help?"

Oh, and for those of you who will pick on any feature to drag it down, the faxing feature is for basic users, as in maybe one or two faxes sent per month (at most). You business people will want to stick with FaxSTF or whatever solution you are already using. But of course this wont matter to you, because Panther sucks, right?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been running Panther since June (on several machines to boot) and the only problems I've hit have been differences between GCC 3.1 and GCC 3.3.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you are intimating that panther is perfect, then i have news for you - it's NOT

But just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it sucks.

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
MasterBlaster - A few questions:
1) Why are you using Sherlock?
2) I think the printer problem is just a queer glitch between the computer and printer. Check your Panther Problem #1 thread. Hopefully that fixes it.
3) Can you provide more info on your Mail settings, et al. I know mine is sending just fine. We, for the most part, are here to help.
4) Its a .0 release. It should have been tested better so some of the problems had not cropped up. *cough* FireWire Drive erasing *cough*. But all Operating Systems are works in progress. Jaguar went all the way to 10.2.8, and 10.2.0 was just as buggy for some people, just wait for 10.3.1 and most of your problems should disappear.

PB - It doesn't make it perfect either. (Devil's Advocate point finished now.)

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
MasterBlaster- if you're selling out with Panther, I'm interested. Send me an email or private message of some sort.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think we might as well rename this thread to "Panther - The Witch Hunt"

Quite frankly you should expect any major new OS to have its problems, I hate to say it but its true. Given that well lets say panther was tested on 100k systems but sold to 2 million (totally inaccurate numbers! Just making a point) you have suddenly increased the pool of users and are now much more likely to see little things cropping up. This is the reason there will be a 10.3.1 release shortly.

Look around this board, im not saying Panther doesn't have its flaws because there are areas im sure its lacking in. However the ratio of happy to unhappy customers is quite different. So far ive seen what 2 people complaining? Your mail problem certainly seems to be specific since I havn't encountered one hitch yet. (Your not trying to use your ISPs mail from a non ISP connection are you? I know with my Cable mail I can recieve all the messages I want from any other connection but cannot send since its not coming from one of their own IP addresses, I have to be on my ISP to send.)

Anyways im not really upset for this thread existing, its bound to happen. But I am upset that its a sticky. Why should one thread with the problems of 2 people be approved sticky status and a more positive one not? I think if we are atleast going to venture out on this witch hunt we should also provide a 2nd thread focused on the positives of panther...

Anyways end rant
maybe i just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

EDIT: Lars kindly pointed out it wasnt a sticky thread, I must have been blind this morning so I take that back
Thanks Lars!

[ November 03, 2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Akai ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
But I am upset that its a sticky.
This thread isn't a sticky for one thing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
LOL doh thanks Lars!
The early morning was too much for my eyes! :( Thats what getting off work at 12:30 and getting up at 5:30 to goto another job does to you :(

·
Registered
218 Posts
I do not know how MasterBlaster's system is configured, or what system he even has. I can however say that after installing Panther on my B&W I have not have any problems with Printing or Mail. I found it easy to configure and print to my networked HP4si through IP Printing as well as my Brother 8820D Multifunction printer connected to my Dad's PC using the Windows Printing feature of Panther.

I also have no problems with Mail on my Rogers account, but like Akai said, the sending address must be the one registered with the ISP in order to be able to send properly.

I have also noticed that the system is overall slightly faster than with 10.2.8. Not "blindingly OOHHH MY GOD!!" faster, but certain functions are noticably faster.

The only thing that I can see right now that are a bit of a downer, are that Window redraws are slightly slow when resizing. Other than that, I have been happy with Panther...

MrVermin

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The only thing that I can see right now that are a bit of a downer, are that Window redraws are slightly slow when resizing. Other than that, I have been happy with Panther...
This has sped up for me, but now selecting menu items has slowed down instead and has become sluggish. Meh. :confused:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Maybe my issue with Window Redraw being slow on resizing has something to do with that I have a PCI video card and that Panther may be optimized for AGP. I have talked to other that have a Yikes G4 and they say the same thing about redraws as I. :/

Oh well, if I can find the money I may start looking for a Sawtooth....

MrVermin

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I upgraded Jaguar to Panther and am on Telus ADSL. No problems with mail in or out. Other than Panter asks me for my password too often, I find it far superior to Jaguar and OS 9.2.2 both. Guess Panther bashing is the in thing today is it?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts