Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how is Panther?

I am not going to upgrade for a while...

And I am wondering just how it runs and if there actually is anything that I am missing in Contrast to OS10.2?

Parousia

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Panther is smooth as silk! It is generally as fast and usually faster than jaguar. Don't let the Keynote hype about Expose jade you; IT IS A GREAT FUNCTION! Faster than Command-Tilde for doc switching, becasue YOU can see the open windows in Expose MUCH faster than Command-Tilde-Tilde-Tilde-Tilde 'till you're blue in the face to find the one you want -- and miss it and have to go around again.

Here are some test results I did:

EDIT: I should add that this is on a G4/450/1.5GB RAM/ATI Radeon 9000 Pro

[ October 27, 2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Macaholic ]

·
Premium Member
17,992 Posts
Well, if I ever had any illusions about installing Panther on my original series iBook, this dashed 'em:

3. Verify that you have enough hard drive space.
The amount of free disk space required depends on your computer and the way you choose to install Mac OS X. You should have at least 2.0 GB of available space on your hard drive to install Panther. You'll need a minimum of 3.5GB of available disk space if you install Panther's optional developer tools.
:eek: The full install of Panther (3.5gig) is bigger than my entire HD (3.2gig) ! :eek:

:confused: Oh, well... guess it's time for a little surgery...

M

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I love the fact that the Finder is now metal, simply because you can now click on any edge of a Finder window to drag it around. The sidebar is, I think, really suited to column view, which is my favourite view anyway.
There's been a lot of bad reports about FileVault; on my machine it changed the ownership of everything to root - I'm going to leave this one for a while.
There's more to Expose than they originally said. Pressing tab while in All Applications cycles through focusing on each application.
I haven't really noticed the performance increase on my 12" RevA PB with 640MB, except for the faster boot time.
Font Book and the improved font panel is great, but now it kind of makes me wish for more apps that would use all those ligatures I've found out about thanks to it. There are some haxies that will let you use collections in Carbon apps, but you still can't get those ligatures easily.
Cmd-selecting In and Sent mailboxes lets you see your own posts threaded with the ones you received.
The integration of iPhoto with System Preferences is great, but it only works if your iPhoto Library is in the default location under ~/Pictures.
I look forward to using XCode, too.
All those enhancements add up to a worthwhile upgrade. Expose and the new Finder alone improve the experience by leaps and bounds.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Elmer said:

There's more to Expose than they originally said. Pressing tab while in All Applications cycles through focusing on each application.

I say:

HOLY MOLEY!!

Apple. nobody does it better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.