Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good News: My copy of Panther showed up in this mornings mail. Bad News: I have been so far unable to load it onto my Pismo Powerbook. I am posting specific details in Mac troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
You could post some details here.

I have a 400 and 500 Pismo
500 took Panther just fine, have not yet got around to the 400.

The basics to check are HD space, RAM and what way were you installing (eg: archive, wipe and install, first time?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine showed up via fedex, and, in a refreshing change from installing 17 years worth os MS OS installs, its gone in with only one apparent hitch so far, my M-Audio 2496 card seems somewhat dead...

ah well, overall, its great. (dual 1.s G4)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Panther finally loaded when I used my external 52X cd burner to load the software discs. My internal drive on the pismo has had no issues so far - for example it will accept the Jaguar CD's without any problem. For some reason it doesn't like the Panther CD's.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Hey JohnnyMo!

By chance is your external 52x burner also a combo drive? As far as I know, the Panther discs are DVD, not CD!

M

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
if they made them on dvd disks that would exlude alot of mac users who do not have a dvd drive

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
My mistake... I thought it was a bit odd when I read it in another forum. Perhaps that post was by someone who was using an install disc from a new Mac on an older machine...

M

·
Registered
160 Posts
The install disks for Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro are on DVD's, maybe that's what you were thinking about?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I am just speculating... but my new G4 came with a DVD install disk (Jaguar)... so I would assume that new Apple hardware ships with DVD install disks while the "a la carte" version is issued on CD for greater backwards compatability?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I also disagree that Panther comes on DVD discs - Final Cut Pro, I can understand, since that was mean't for users with a SuperDrive, which is also a DVD-ROM drive, and considering the fact the FCP is massive in size and wouldn't fit on a single CD.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just finished installing Panther, much zippier.. I definately like it.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I just finished installing Panther, much zippier.. I definately like it.
On what machine?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
crap I'm so worried about making this switch. I used carbon cloner to barely squeak by getting my hard drive onto my 20 gig ipod (damn I should have bought the 40! lol!) so I just HOPE TO GOD I did it right an I am able to put it on a new partition and that it boots up! yikes!

My new panther should be here any minute. But boy am i nervous! :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow!!!! I can't believe how much faster everything is running! Mail, Safari, iPhoto, Address Book......

My favorite is Expose and Fast Switching.

Oh, I'm on a 1 GHZ Ti.

Bob

·
Registered
187 Posts
On what machine?
An iBook 500mhz G3 with 640 megs of ram. The install went totally smoothly, no problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just installed Panther on my brand new 17inch Powerbook...

Just took slightly more than an hour to install (quite long)..

Also, Panther package came with 3 installation disks.. my computer only used 2 of the 3 disks.. What is the other 3rd disk for? Full installation from OS9?

Also, there was an optional add-in.. Some "bus" name... Anyone know what this is for?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts