Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that if I buy the Jaguar OS right now...
Then I can get Panther for $29.

Panther for $29.

Mac OS X v10.2 “Jaguar”
If you purchased Mac OS X v10.2 (M8712LL/A, M8905LL/A) on or after October 8, 2003 you are eligible to participate in this program.
That's great...Now I'll be able to upgrade two machines
with two different operating systems.

Dave :D :D :D :cool:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The last time I got such a sweet deal from Apple was
when I first got OS 7.1 and it came with an upgrade
form for OS 7.5 for $19.95, All I needed was a proof of
purchase of OS 7.1 within a certain time period.

That seems to be the same set of rules now as it was
then...Except now it's about $10. more...
I like that kind of inflation.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Great.

So all you need to do is buy jag for US$49 then apply for the CAN$29 upgrade to Panther? I guess that's a pretty good discount. Don't get me wrong - I like to pay for my software... but having paid full price for X AND Jag AND 3 new Apple computers recently... (not well timed perhaps) I feel entitled to any discount i can wangle.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So all you need to do is buy jag for US$49
I don't think that is a product that qualifies for the
Panther update somehow.

The Apple site says:

Mac OS X v10.2 “Jaguar”
If you purchased Mac OS X v10.2 (M8712LL/A, M8905LL/A) on or after October 8, 2003 you are eligible to participate in this program.
The OWC OSX 10.2 Jaguar CD is an update CD,
Not the actual retail version of the full Jaguar CD ...Unfortunately.

Macsales site aka OWC says:

Apple OS X 10.2 'Jaguar' Update CD Set/license. Already own OS X 10.1.x and want 'Jaguar' 10.2.x? This is what you need! - Brand New, Complete Jaguar Update Set w/Manual! (APLOSX102UP)
I suppose people could try...Perhaps Apple will have a
two for one sale. (I'd sure like to save even more money)

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I don't see any difference between buying software at retail and paying for a legitimate, registerable product at a discount, and I don't think SW developers care one whit, as long as you use the product and are willing to upgrade sometime in the future.

(Speaking of which, I'm peeved at Macromedia for disallowing upgrades for versions prior to the latest two, but I digress).

If you don't mind paying retail, toss your local Mac reseller a bone and get Jaguar locally. It doesn't cost a penny more.

Be sure to use the form linked on the Apple Canada site; the US site's form says it's limited to US addresses.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Does anyone have further knowledge on whether or not Apple will accept the OWC purchase for this upgrade price to Panther? I'd love to go for it.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Check with OWC to see if one of these catalogue numbers corresponds to the version they're selling:
M8712LL/A, M8905LL/A

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
hey guys, where is the link for this offer? I would like to participate too! thanks Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts