Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is of interest to anyone or not, but on Sunday I was driving past Red Tag Computer in Mississauga and decided to pop in.

Panther was running on one of their 1 Ghz PowerMacs.
The Finder windows didn't have the brushed steel effect as I had thought, rather, the windows were just a dull grey. At first I thought I was looking at an amateurish 'Skin' for Jaguar, but after checking the About this Mac thing, I realised I was looking at the future of Apple.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Which build was it though? was it the WWDC released version or one of the developer releases? In the latest releases there have been vast improvements.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'm becoming impatient waiting for Panther's release... ;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
"You must learn Patience..."

"Ya, Ya... How long will that take?"

Boot to the Head - The Frantics

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chealion,

Unfortunately, I didn't take note of the build number, but perhaps it was an early version, as the appearance of the interface was somewhat primitive.

I totally forgot about the Expose feature. I should have tried it out, but didn't.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I have had Panther for some time now. The finder is nicer, but speedwise I didn't see a huge jump. The way in which you access the network is through the finder. you click on the network icon, and all connected computers appear in the finder. "Expose" is an interesting way of tidying open windows, but I don't think I'll use it much. The bummer is that certain software doesn't work with Panther, notably Toast, so look for lots of mandatory upgrades (probably not free either). Is it worth the cost of the upgrade? IMHO it is not, at this time anyway, but theres still plenty of time for improvements.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Somebody's going to get their fingers slapped for breaking their NDA...

John

·
Registered
237 Posts
I meant whom ever gave RedTag the software. As far as I know, they're not developers, and if they are, they've broken the NDA.

John

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i hope i didn't get anyone into trouble. i didn't realize how top secret this thing is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts