Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having Panther on 3 different machines, the ensuing annoyance has resulted in a restoration to a earlier happier state. The Protools box just did not work, the email/filesharing box pissed of the PC folks when Dave died and my G5 was no better. Put the Panther back in the cage until its training has taken place.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
What is with people and Panther troubles? I haven't seen Panther misbehave yet on two different machines.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hmmm, that is a pretty bad bug - can't wait for 10.3.1. ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Pretty bad bug?

That bug and the many more should not have even made it 10.3 period! Apple knew it by saying they weren't ready with 10.3 but released it anyways and were probably hoping that they could get 10.3.1 out with the fixes quicker then the people complaining. The File Vault problem does some serious damage to not only Panther but everything in it. Corrupted iTunes, Mail, Keychain and the list goes on and on and on.

Don't you just love sites like MacCentral and MacAddict who tell it HOW IT IS and not some FUD that you read saying there is nothing wrong with Panther? :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Urban_Legend - Where are you reading this FUD that Panther is perfect? I know no one here has said that Panther is perfect, but for the most part, most people aren't having any problems. If the majority of Panther users were having problems, it would be much worse, but the media is having a hey day by sensationalizing some of these faults. (The FireWire drive firmware problem. It wasn't Apple's fault officially, but they sure could have done some damage prevention before the Gold Master.)

It is a piece of software, expecting the moon and the stars is not wise. Some people will always have problems. Like take a look at Windows ME. My one friend is married to the operating system, as its the only stable operating system he has ever used (XP and 2000 were crash crazy on the same machine.), but the general look at ME, is that it was a horrible OS. My friend was one of few that the OS worked for. Both sides need to (in general) relax and see if they can solve the problems that have occured.

Also, who here is even using FileVault?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is why people who have stayed in OS 9 think it is better... It is not... they have just worked out the kinks so long ago that they forgot how much of a PITA it was at the time...

People who love Jag, did the same last year....

Software that is updated every year is never bug proof...

Quark 4.11 is solid because of years of patches and workarounds and 3rd party extensions...

Expecting Apple to go back to Jag is like whining about the lack of support for Beige boxes...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Also, who here is even using FileVault?
I was going to since I love playing around with the new features in Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, but after it said it would log me out to activate it, I decided not to (hehe), but now that I read it can corrupt your system, I don't think I'll activate it after all (not until it's fixed under 10.3.1, anyway).

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Panther makes me miss OS 9
Yeah, all the times OS 9 crashed unlike Panther... good times... :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
In defence of OS 9 , at least one knows that in all likelihood the worst that will happen is a crash and restart. I will take that any day over problems such as data corruption or loss, firewire drive problems and file vault issues. I would agree that there is always going to be some issues with a major OS update, early adopters must be prepared to assume some risk being on the "cutting edge". That being said, an issue such as the one with file vault is IMHO a fundamental failure on the part of Apple to provide a reasonable level of quality assurance. I can understand problems with device compatabilty, third party software compatability updates being required in some instances- those are part and parcel of OS updates. In my opinion, it is incumbent on Apple to at least enure that a supposed key "new feature" such as File Vault does not lead to serious problems such as those being encountered. Surely in the course of development and beta testing, someone would have actually hooked up a firewire drive or used Filke Vault? A future update will reslove these issues (hopefully) but in the meantime, it would appear that a number of loyal Apple clients have had to deal with some issues that should not have been allowed to materialize in the first place. Frequent reports of data loss and the like tend to derail "switch" campaigns for awhile. :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
[QUOTET]he Protools box just did not work... [/QUOTE]

Why on earth did you even think it would? You can pretty much be assured that whatever new software or hardware comes out will not work with ProTools for at least a few months.

Digidesign OS X Compatibility

Mac OS X Requirements with Pro Tools 6.x Systems

Please be aware that Mac OS 10.3 ("Panther") is not compatible with current versions of Pro Tools.

Support for Mac OS 10.3 (released by Apple on October 24) will require a future Pro Tools update, expected for supported TDM and LE systems in mid-November.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts