Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - so 12 hours (minus a few hours of sleep) playing with Panther....

I'm loving the new setup assistant for the first-time configuration. Shame we'll only see this once when we use Panther! That spinning cube effect really is a cool bit of eye candy.

Lots of incredibly cool things here. I don't mind the brushed-metal interface as much as I thought I might. The new sidebar is a huge welcome improvement for navigation novices.

I like the little touches. Check out "About the Finder" for a cute message! ;)

Exposé - it really is as cool as everybody said!

The new option to ask for a password on wake-from-sleep is wonderful. Only complain - they could have / should have separated that from the screensaver password challenge.

Software Update is now more easily accessible - right in the Apple Menu, and doesn't require System Preferences to be launched (much faster).

Labels printing from the Address Book - hugely nice.

Redesigned network preference pane / internet connect - I like the new setup. Much easier to read and configure.

That little square "ghost box" around icons clicked in the Finder... ehh... could take it or leave it. The return of labels is 'way sweet.

Folder Actions - Am I just discovering them now, or were they this easy to configure in Jag? I see they're accessible via control-click in the Finder now...

Nice to see the character palette accessible under "Edit" in all apps.

I'm sure there's more... just thought it'd be nice to share a few more observations for those who are on the fence... go get your Panther now! :D

:cool:
M

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just curious, did u load it on your Sig. machine?

For reference on older laptops that's all.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Check out how under keyboard & mouse you can assign your own key combinatiosn to ANY command! :eek: That has been given little coverage "out there", yet to me it is a HUGE thing... if anything, huge in light of the fact that Apple is allowing a major coninuity gaffe to occur as other people use your twewaked up keyboard! (you know how tight fisted Apple is with modifying the look of Mac OS...)

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really want to put Panther on my iBook 300, but geez - the full Panther install is around 3.5gigs (with Dev tools) and my HD is only 3.2 :eek: so... unless I'm prepared to do some surgery and replace the drive, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. But I know what you mean - I'd love to know how well it would perform, since the iBook only has 4 megs of VRAM :eek:

Macaholic, yeah - found that. Amazing the customizability of the keyboard commands, eh?

One of the things that I do see as being an impediment to some Windows potential switchers, however, is the lack of general customization of the GUI. I know one guy - who can be rather, shall we say, focused ;) who spent hours and hours making his own cursors for his Win XP machine. Switching the cursors (hand-made, or downloaded) is a simple selection within the Mouse control panel. I know Apple likes to lock down is GUI, but people do like to make each machine "their own."

M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts