Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent this off to Macintouch to be posted in the next few days but I thought I'd share my observations with my fellow Canadians first. What follows is my report on Font Book, the font management application included in Mac OS X10.3 "Panther".

[Snip ehMax]

[ July 17, 2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: ehMax ]

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Font Panel you see in Jaguar is ONLY for Cocoa applications. Word X is a carbon app so that does not apply.

Things may change now that Carbon apps can access Cocoa APIs (if I remember correctly) however it will take some time (if ever) for developers to use what is given to them.

Font Book is a font management (ala Suitcase 10 or font Reserve) that will be included in Panther. My report just shows that even though Apple is including such an application does not mean that everyone will be happy and be able to use it. So far only InDesign and Cocoa applications behave as expected. Those still clinging to Quark will be SOL but others apps I gather will require a small update. Don't hold your breath for Quark though.

[ July 17, 2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: MacGenius ]

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Remember you read it here first, before all the magazines review Panther and come to the same conclusion!

Probably because there's a fairly restrictive NDA on those who acquired Panther from WWDC or ADC :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but I'd rather not have in depth, hands on reports of Panther posted *on* ehMac. Thanks for the consideration getting news out to us canucks first though.

We don't even know when Panther is shipping yet, and I'd rather not have "conclusions" about its features, performance etc.. posted here.

There are strict NDA's about Panther for developers who've aquired it. It is floating on the net, but well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts