Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm planning to buy Panther this fall (or this winter) and I was wondering if I could do a clean install (including reformating hard drive) and then installing only the applications that came with my iBook (after backing up all important document and iTunes playlist, of course)?

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
You won't have a problem, although Panther includes iTunes and such. It will install them all by default.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Instead of reformatting, and Archive and Install might be the better way to go. It replaces your previous system (rather than upgrading) but doesn't erase your hard drive.

--PB

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Just be aware that Archive and install does work great it does not move everything over you'd expect. It does a great job with networking, users and applications but stuff in /Library/StartupItems, receipts and a few others won't make it over.

Make sure if you use this method you physically go in /Librabry and have a look and move anything you need over into the new location.

Once you are satisfied that things work as expected you will need to remove the Previous systems fodler to regain the disk space. That folder and contents are owned by root so you will not be abe to just throw it in the trash and empty.
You'll need to fire up the terminal and forcefully remove the folder.

If you want the command line entry to do this please reply in here and we'll provide it. So sense giving someone a nuke if they don't need it right?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The folder can be removed through the GUI as well by using the Get Info window to manipulate the permissions.

--PB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts