Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Emac 1Ghz using OS 10.2.6 and have the ability to start-up in classic mode. I use OS 9 in classic less and less (I love OS X) but am not willing to abandon it yet. My question is: if I upgrade to Panther, will I lose my ability to use classic on my machine?
Thanks for any input.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
My question is: if I upgrade to Panther, will I lose my ability to use classic on my machine?
No. Classic Mode will still be available to you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lars, I will definitly update if thats the case. Is classic separate software from the OS?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Classic Mode is Mac OS 9.x, which, if you check your hard drive, has its own system folder called "System Folder" by default, while the Mac OS X system folder is simply called "System" by default.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I believe Classic is not included on the Panther CD, so keep that in mind when upgrading. i.e. if you wipe the drive clean and install Panther, you won't have Classic unless you also install Classic from your system's original CDs. If on the other hand, you're doing an upgrade install of Panther, Classic should continue to work without any fuss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts