Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
well, at least a 3rd party is picking up the slack. however, if i'm to use a 3rd party solution, i'd much rather go with a pocketpc device.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup that makes it definite... I'm selling my Palm Tungsten T... anyone want to buy it? ;)

I was considering switching to a SonyEricsson t616 to replace my t68i and Tungsten... I suppose this will up my timeframe.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I dunno Mink Tea...yet another article predicting the imminent arrival of an Apple PDA. I just don't see it in the cards: the iPod handles enough of the PDA load already.

As for Palm, they've pretty much used up any goodwill that Mac users had for them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Well all this will really mean is that everyone will have to buy the Missing Sync from MarkSpace, not just Clie owners (and there are many Mac and Clie owners out there despite the fact that Sony doesn't offer MAc support for the Clie).

I would be very unhappy with a proprietary Mac PDA platform.

There are way too many apps available for the Palm that would never be ported to a Mac PDA. If they were going to offer a handheld, they should stick to their recent affinity for "open standards" and offer compatibility with Palm apps and file formats.

Sure it's not technically "open" but it can be licensed, it's got the lion's share of the market and it's not M$ and that's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
According to reports, Palm OS Cobalt will not be 100% replacing Palm OS 5, so you will be able to get Palm branded units that sync with a Mac for some time to come.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, the big wigs at Apple have denied their interest in making PDAs for so long, I don't see one coming anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
wow... just what i wanted to hear. I was just having this convo with someone looking for a PALM and I mentioned that Palm was priding themselves as being the best PDA for the Mac users etc... What a blow.

And, I was looking for maybe move to a Pocket PC simply for the extra features they offered (wifi + BT w/o the massive charge). Now, the move may be closer to reality - though I will say that there is way too s/w out there for the Palm to simply let go.. But that still sux. :(

H!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I guess I dont use a PDA enough to really be bothered about this.
I think palm is doing what it has to do to keep it self out of more trouble. They have been in a tight spot for the last couple of years and restructering resources is likely to be very important to them as they move forward.

They are probably banking on mac loyalty to keep sales while at the same time they can drop development costs and let U and I pay for it with 3rd party stuff like missing sync.

I have a Zire 71 with palm5 and have no complaints. I have used the missing sync with the sony PDA's and also found it to work great and without a hitch. I have not tried missing sync with a pocket PC but have read somewhere that it was out or coming soon.

I would have to agree with posterboy. I cant see an apple branded PDA. The market is on the verge of discovering a new horizon and a stand alone PDA is a thing of the past.

If apple does bring something out, I think it will be a compliment to the iPod but push different markets. Think communications, video, 3GG QT technology with all the goodies of a PDA and you might have the up and coming digital device being talked about. Apple has been pumping a lot of dev into QT support of 3GG. It would seem reasonable that they are looking for an angle on this market.

This could also be multi platform compatible which would also help achieve another very important goal. QT adoption.
Now that would be interesting!

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think this is just another example of lack of foresight in this industry (and there is plenty of it to go around). What I do not understand is that not only are they cutting off the Mac market but also the Linux market as well.

Anything they could have developed for the Mac would have easil been used for the Linux market as well. It's not like the Mac is a closed OS anymore so I don't see their point.

Clearly these guys can't see the forest through the trees.

Their loss... I will not buy another Palm based PDA ever again. The Sharp Zaurus 5600 is looking interesting since it is based on Linux.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not to change the subject but as I started to read through the posted comments on the article

http://www.palminfocenter.com/comment_view.asp?ID=6547#91152

I got disgusted by how fast it degrades into just plain Mac bashing and personal attacks against Mac users. Granted there are shots fired back by Mac users but...

It just upsets me that people get berated for making a choice that differs from the "masses" and then to hear all the old tired arguments against Mac users be trotted out once again.

I was considering a Palm purchase in the future. This will put this on hold and make the decision of which PDA to buy a lot harder.

As far as an Apple Branded PDA. I really don't think that would be a good idea for apple. The cost involved in R&D don't make sense for Apple right now and breaking into the market is very tough. How many iterations of Pocket PC have there been?? it is just starting to come into its own right now!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
not to say this thing is any better, but future shop is carying this cool little Linux based PDA and they are selling it for $100. The downfall is that its only got 8megs of built in RAM and it uses a serial adapter for syncing. you could probably get a serial to USB coverter though. Plays MP3s and has a voice recorder which plays media cards. sorry i forget the type of card.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I followed that thread on PalmInfocenter.com as well... and yes I was VERY put off by it. Seriously, OSX couldn't be more open in terms of a platform... for Palm to say they are not going to support it makes NO sense.

At this point if someone at PalmOne thinks I'll give up my Mac ( a $3000 investment) in favour of a Palm OS6 device ($400-1000 investment) well they need their head checked.

After seeing the posts with the Investor Relations Department contact info I had to laugh... I guess that guys mailbox will be full.

I'm just looking for a good price on a SE t616... it doesn't completely replace my Tungsten, but for Calendaring and Contacts it comes pretty close. Now just to sell me Tungsten and t68i to pay for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts