Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Palm Q? >> Desktop data file

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ohenri 
#1 ·
Just a quick Q?: I'm getting a new one today (still using IIIx - pls, no laughter). I think that there might be some new s/w to install so I want to back up my Data file right now (i get the new Palm @ 11am EST! I'm stoked!) - now I do think that I have spotted the folder (Palm>Users>*username*>userdata). Now when upgrading, I should be able to pop that file in à la Microsoft User Data , no?? I will also have that back up in the unit, but wanted to check that out anyhow. I have not geeked out on palm handhelds h/w, s/w in a hot minute. Getting back into it.

Funny thing is that I'm forced to work it in Classic - * more on that a little later *

Too much convergence...

#2 ·
You mentioned that you're running Palm (I assume you mean the Desktop app) in Classic. When I upgraded mine I had all kinds of problems and these were solved by removing all vestiges of Palm for OS 9 from my system (the Palm folders in the OS9 Applications folder). I also seem to recall Palm including an advisory about this, saying that you shouldn't try running both the OS X and Classic app otherwise things could go foom (I said foom, not them).

Have a look at the support page at Palm.com for more info.

Just for the record, your Palm data settings in OSX are stored in your user/documents/palm folder.

Hope some of my ramblings help!

#3 ·
PGant - guess what? This upgrade was marred with massive problems. :mad: Could not get it to run properly. Bottom line - is that I was feeling the effect of a colossal kernel panik that I suffered and did not do enough about. Boo... my bad. Anyhow, I look to have this transition done soon... Not sure that I'll be able to make this happen like I want it. I don't know the inner workings like I used too. I'll get back into it... I hope. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.