Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that Painter has compatability issues with Mac dual processers and/or ATI cards. Does any one know for sure if this is true. I have been thinking about upgrading from my Beige G3 to a dual 867 (maybe higher) or to a G5. As Painter is my most used program, I need to know before I buy ,if this will cause me problems. Any one know for sure?
Thanks. :?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Hi Chuster

I can't vouch for the ATI cards but I am using painter on a dual gig system with a GeForce4 MX video card with no problem. Its an awesome program but some of those watercolor brushes really put your processor through its paces. Get all the horsepower you can afford. Oh and lots of ram. I have 1 gig of ram on my system and its adequate for me.
Good Luck
MacGuiver

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, MacGuiver. I generally haven't been able to use the Watercolour brushes cause they're soooo darn slow on my box. I put a rage 128 16mb card in my G3 and Painter froze about once a minute. It's working fine with an Xclaim card.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use painter on a G4 cube with the original stock ATI card. It works well. Make sure that you have plenty of ram aswell.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Chuster.

I have a new dual G4 with an ATI Radeon card, a Wacom tablet and Painter 8. Like my old machine with Painter 5 in OS 9, this new combination seems just about perfect.

My advice is to buy the fastest chip you can afford, fill er up with high test RAM and then start enjoying your watercolour brushes. :D

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
chuster, good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has problems with Painter. My G4/400 doesn't have enough go into it to properly utilize any of the liquid brushes and it's been very frustrating. I'll be in the market for a new machine come the new year. I'm waiting to see what transpires with the G5 before making a decision. I have a feeling that Painter 8 will scream on it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts