Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out....
Own a piece of history

You can own one of the 1100 Viginia Tech's original G5 that made up the System X supercomputer AKA Big Mac....

·
Registered
281 Posts
buying a USED server is the last thing i'd do...
here's why:
they're ON all the time!
they're abused... who cares about cosmetics when you've got 1100 of them?
why would technicians care? it's not their machine....
it's not cheap.... at $2799.. are you crazy!??!

ok. i'll shut up now.
it's absolutely ridiculous! owning a "piece of history".. LOL..oh man!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
they're abused... who cares about cosmetics when you've got 1100 of them?
First of all, they sit and aren't touched 24/7, so actually the cosmetic damage is probably low if not non-existant.

·
Registered
281 Posts
First of all, they sit and aren't touched 24/7, so actually the cosmetic damage is probably low if not non-existant
Yah, OK. I'm sure they all automatically got placed on metal racks. C'mon... if I were them, I wouldn't have give a damn.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Have you even seen the server setup, or read about the special room they housed the G5 cluster? If anything those Macs will be immaculate.

It's irrelevant how you would have treated them. :confused: Which would make me a little leery on having you as an employee judging on how you appear to treat equipment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
it's amazing how if anyone, anyone, says anything bad about any macintosh anywhere in the world, some people on this board come running to refute the statement.

how does anyone know what condition these are in?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
It's amazing that when anyone says bad about anything these days, people will come out and
refute any statement. Of course... this is a discussion list, correct? It'd be pretty banal to view post after post of people constantly agreeing with each other.

But, if that's your cup of tea...

But then again, this is a Mac board isn't it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Have you even seen the server setup, or read about the special room they housed the G5 cluster? If anything those Macs will be immaculate.

It's irrelevant how you would have treated them. Which would make me a little leery on having you as an employee judging on how you appear to treat equipment.
OK. What does the server setup have anything to do with how they're treated? i'm talking about how they're put up, installed, and that they're on 24/7. i've followed the virginia tech install since the day they released it, what's your point? OK... so they've invested lots of money into housing the machines, and setting it up... but what does that say about how they treat it? hm...

btw... i don't work for you, so you don't have to be worried.

here's a question: would you buy the audi TT, that's raced and won the 24hr. lemans, for more than a comparable, non-raced used TT? i don't think so...

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
here's a question: would you buy the audi TT, that's raced and won the 24hr. lemans, for more than a comparable, non-raced used TT? i don't think so...
Here's an answer:

Did you drive it, or did a professional drive it?

There's the key difference, and the point I was making in the first place, from what you've said earlier...

Yah, OK. I'm sure they all automatically got placed on metal racks. C'mon... if I were them, I wouldn't have give a damn.
... so, taking that into consideration, you'd probably drive the Audi into every wall on the track, and hit every pothole along the way.

Regardless of whatever metaphor you were trying to use, the G5 cluster that sat in a special room, free from a constant human presence—as opposed to sitting on, or under a desktop where they exposed to constant, potential, mishaps that could occur in an office environment (food, drink, etc.). Macs and Audis have different stresses place upon them, but the key difference is that the stresses placed up an Audio are much more substantial because of the environment it's used in.

But the point I was making was that they (the Va. Techs) probably "gave a damn" when installing the servers, therefore probably wouldn't have subjected the G5s to the carelessness you would have put them through (by your own words).

Capice?

[ February 16, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: « MannyP Design » ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
here's a question: would you buy the audi TT, that's raced and won the 24hr. lemans, for more than a comparable, non-raced used TT? i don't think so
First of all, I wouldn't buy a TT. Gimme an RX-8 instead...

I guess you wouldn't buy my G5 used either, since it has been on pretty much nonstop since I bought it. It has also been moved around quite a bit too...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here's an answer:

Did you drive it, or did a professional drive it?

There's the key difference, and the point I was making in the first plac
1. that's not even an answer. that's another question.
2. pro or "me" makes no difference unless you assume i'm not a professional..
3. i'm not talking about "abuse" in operation here. i'm talking about the "wear and tear" caused by operation. same operation when you start a car. i'm sure even you can start a car the same way a pro can.

... so, taking that into consideration, you'd probably drive the Audi into every wall on the track, and hit every pothole along the way
that's for me to worry about. thank-you.

But the point I was making was that they (the Va. Techs) probably "gave a damn" when installing the servers, therefore probably wouldn't have subjected the G5s to the carelessness you would have put them through (by your own words).
count the "probably's". my point is that you're not even sure yet you talk as if you are. i never said they weren't abused, maybe they weren't. possibly massaged even. you were so "certain" they were not abused...

·
Premium Member
30,991 Posts
Point is they work which cannot be said for every G5 dual out of the box :(

That these have been run under heavy load for a while is a terrific recommendation.
Had the price been a tad lower I might have picked up a few just for the security of knowing they are working perfectly. :cool:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts