Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got a G3 350 MHz processor from MacDoc (I have no clue what brand it is) and anyway, MacDoc told me the card was tested at 400 MHz. However, when I set it to that, Jaguar crashed on startup. It would crash at every speed above 366 MHz. So I have it here at 366 MHz now running stable.

Now, any idea why it would bomb my G3 at higher speeds when MacDoc clocked it higher? My 266 MHz G3 processor also crashed at 300 MHz. I can't seem to overclock even by 33 MHz. Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
778 Posts
What OS did he overclock it on?

Was it OS 9 or OS X? Could be that OS X has stricter capabilities, especially when it comes to third party processor modules.

That being said, if the upgrade manufacturer states that it runs safely at 366Mhz or whatever the speed it, then there is probably a reason they are not reselling that CPU as a 400Mhz processor.

I am by no means a pro when it comes to over clocking chips. Maybe the manufaturer has a cache application or something that will help you when you are expermenting with the overclocking.

Just keep in mind, if you blow the CPU, you can consider yourself having a chip that has just been sent to /dev/null

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Your chip may well have been tested to run at 400Mhz (or even 4 GHz for that matter) but overclocking requires stability and over-spec performance from each of the subsystems that make up your computer, not just the CPU. Since this is essentially unknown, the only thing you can do is test and see. What performance you get is essentially what your particular hardware can support, whatever that may be.

Some systems, PC or otherwise, refuse to overclock at all; others run fine at moderate over-spec tolerances, while a very few others can really go hard. This can be as fine as a part-by-part thing; variance on the same production line is common, and is acute when you ask for more than you paid for. That's why your can overclock in the first pace.

Remember the following rules of racing:
"When in doubt, run 'er". (Popular amongst the "go till you break" crowd).
"Identical parts, aren't."
"You can do anything, it just takes a little more time and a lot more money."
"There's no subsitiute for cubic dollars."

Remember you can break things, go easy and you probably will be better off in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts