Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There a few applications out there at allow you to set the speed for your backside cache-- has anyone done tried "overclocking" their backside cache speed? (these applications exist mainly to setup an upgrade card properly that doesn't automatically configure itself).

My iMac has a 512k L2 cache @ 160 MHz (5:2) and a 400 MHz processor - could I up it?

[ January 26, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Lars ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Being as geekish as I am, :D , I overclocked my backside cache to 200 MHz (2:1) up from 160 MHz (5:2) - 40 MHz increase and restarted, expecting my iMac to freeze on boot.

Guess not - I'm typing this from a successful change in backside cache speed.

Now showing at 200 MHz (2:1) as expected. Startup time took up 3 times as long as before, which made me suspicious, but once in the Finder, things already seem noticibly faster.

I will report any unexpected crashes or other weird mishaps if they so appear.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I'm surprised that you found it that much faster after the changes. Normally, oc'ing the backside cache has little to do with actual throughput...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree it's not that much faster, I ran some checks and most things only got small increases in certain benchmarks .A lot of the times, things were somehow slower. I didn't notice any difference in the UI. I have an iMac 333 and put it up to 2:1 backside cache, but I swiched it back to the normal setting.

But a good idea, I guess I'm wiser by doing it.

[ January 28, 2004, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: mac-man6 ]

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've done it before myself. from 225 mhz to 300 mhz.

The second I clicked on the button for 300mhz I got a kernel panic message which lasted about .3 of a second and then I saw things I dont ever want to see again. A bunch of white text in black boxes at random.

Never again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts