Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeez... I spent 2 grand on my iMac, which is a year old, then they release the new ones. Now I want the new one, don't have enough money for it, and by the time I save up for another mac and buy one it will be outdated :(

Is anyone else feeling this way?

P.S, When i visited the states I saw the new iPhone,Turns out you can get service in Canada for 5.50 US a month, if you want to speng 59 cents a minute:ptptptptp :lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Jeez... I spent 2 grand on my iMac, which is a year old, then they release the new ones. Now I want the new one, don't have enough money for it, and by the time I save up for another mac and buy one it will be outdated :(

Nah, not really. I spent $2300 on my iBook 4 years ago and its still holding up. I'm only now considering a Mac Book purchase and the new machine will only cost $1300 with tax and I still almost cant justify it. These machines really hold their own. Remember, these machines last longer than pc's :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't let that bother you. Your imac is still quite new. It actually not preventable.

Computer tech changes so much and so fast. When the product gets to retail it is already outdated and not the newest.

Even if you get the new aluminum imac, in a couple of months it will outdate when apple gives it more feature or speed bump.

As long as you computer can do what you need then it is the best computer for you.

note: I am still using a 12" ibook(last gen before macbook) and a mac mini g4. Both of the computer is great at what i needed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nope. If you make a habit of this, you ought never buy another electronic. With nearly anything, the moment you leave the store it is outdated. I've got a first-gen MacBook, and while I would love to upgrade, it works fantastic, and there's just no point. :)

Don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts

Chas, don't feel bad, your machine is a good one, and it has a significantly better screen than the new 20" iMac screens.
I have a MacBookPro (my wife and daughter use it mostly) but mainly I use a G5 dual 2.0 that will be 4 years old in another month or so. I cannot justify upgrading my G5 dual, it still does everything I need it to do, and it doesn't feel slow at any task I throw at it. Even after 4 years, I don't think about upgrading, and that's a first for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i used to always buy a new mac when my the speed of the new ones were double the speed of my old one.... since things arent increasing in speed like they used to be i look at it this way. when i bought my first mac (75mhz, 500 meg HD and 32megs of ram) i though tit was an awesome machine. did everything i needed it to do. i look back on that machine and think wow.... that was my work horse. but it did the trick then. i have a dual 2.7 G5 now it works great and am only considering a new machine due to the change in apples hardware. intel based opposed to power PC and the software i use is all being optimized for it. add that too them switching from AGP video cards to PCI-e, and adding more hard drive bays, faster ram etc... as someone that earns my living behind a mac upgrading is a good idea.

however the average person just using it for MP3's, pictures, word processing and internet application could stick with the same machine for years. i still use my pismo as my "traveling" machine and it works great.

people just confuse WANT and NEED way too much. it;s nice to have the shiniest fastest machine apple makes. but really with in the last year speeds have gone up so minimally you probably wouldnt even notice a difference if you got a new machine anyways

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know how you feel...
I bought my MacBook about a month before all of the models offered 1GB RAM minimum, etc. In other words I just missed the refresh. I'm bummed... but I guess I would be more bummed if Apple didn't keep up. I'm sure PC makers do the same thing... but still it does suck and I know how you feel.

·
Registered
943 Posts
This happened to me when I had my Power Mac. I don't know if it was because it was my first mac/computer or if it wasn't quite what I wanted or needed, but I paid close attention to every little change that came to macs and wanted everything new. Two years later I got my PowerBook and sold the PowerMac and I suddenly felt no need to pay attention so closely. In fact I'm so satisfied with my purchase I don't think I'll need anything else for a very long time (maybe a bit more ram and Leopard installed), and it's been two years with this machine.

Sales people, and others in your position talk about sutle changes like you NEEED to have more than you need. This happens in many other areas as well - Have you bought a bike lately?

My suggestion... decide if this iMac is doing what you need and/or want it to do. If so, take a break from watching the spec changes on every new mac, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bet there is a newer mac in a box on a boat somewhere on the other side of the world RIGHT NOW that will get here in about 2 months after all the travel and customs, go through some testing and be released a few months later.

That being said it will prob follow up by the one that they are loading onto a truck and one tahts just rolling off the assembly line thats prob a G6 quintouple core with 64 gigs of base ram expandable to 4.1 terabytes. I wont even tell you how much harddrive space it has.

·
Premium Member
42,905 Posts
I would also add that this feeling would be minor compared to Apple's dark days of orphaning certain machines, then selling new faster ones practically a moment later at a substantial discount.

The current progression feels like progress, not abandonment.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
There were more than a few schools and users burned by that process :mad:

This particular upheaval tho is a bit out of character and represents a line shift in positioning.

Most often Apple maintains price points and feature sets with the new models as they did with the MacBook Pro line change.

The iMac shift tho I think is strategic against the likes of Dell - offering incredible value and dropping price substantially against the previous line up.

Given Apple was charging $1000 for a 20" Cinema not all that long ago - to offer a Santa Rosa 20" iMac for $1299 now represents a huge shift in positioning.

Short term pain for resellers and late to the iMac buyers but excellent overall for the Mac market as a whole.

Both the MacMini and the iMac are incredible value. The only thing I wish was for a FW 800 or eSATA port on the MacMIni.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Well i know how you feel about this, but anything that you buy brand new today or this year, is going to be outdated in a matter of a few months. I was on a leasing payment when i got my G5 dp 1.8 from Victoria and it has been about 3 or 4 years now that i got my wonderful machine and so far all is current on it, but i also have other machines like my 7300 PPC desktop on os 9.2 and my good old classic mac on os 6.
True this guys are a bit old and can't run os X, but still can run some good programs or accounting stuff. But what i am saying is, for as long as your machine can run what you actually need from it, don't worry about your machine being outdated.

Mine is over 3 to 4 years old and still can run all my games and do graphics and video editing. So i am not worried about my G5.

My theory is, Buy the most expensive machine today and it will last you 10 years. But that is me. I bought my G5 for about 4,500 bux and i still enjoy every minutes of it when i play or work.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts

P.S, When i visited the states I saw the new iPhone,Turns out you can get service in Canada for 5.50 US a month, if you want to speng 59 cents a minute:ptptptptp :lmao:
There is always that temptation but I ask myself "do I need the latest and greatest" and the answer is almost always no.

I have a G4 iBook and G4 Mini and both still do everything I want them to in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
There is always that temptation but I ask myself "do I need the latest and greatest" and the answer is almost always no.

I have a G4 iBook and G4 Mini and both still do everything I want them to in a reasonable amount of time.
I'm the same. I will only think about upgrading when my machine can't (or has extreme difficulty) completing a task I require it to do. This has yet to happen.

I currently use a 533 dual and it does everything from run 10.4.9 to PS to iMovie HD to FCP. Maybe it takes longer to complete some functions but I have nothing to compare it to and I'm comfortable with the time it does take.

Oh and I use it for my home business as well so it's not just casual use.

Constantly buying new or upgrading is a bit of a trap. I'm sure there are many out there who own G5's who only surf and manage their photo collection. Match the power to the need and save a whole pile of $$$$.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Excellent approach and the 533 duals have to stand as one of THE best machines Apple ever offered.
Too bad there were so few sold.

Buy what you need when you need and chat with someone knowledgeable as you likely don't need as much as you think.

We spend more time talking people down from the airy heights to the practical plain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts