Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues with my Telus DSL connection for over a year now with it constantly dropping the connection. I have had four repair service visits in the past year and each time the tech declared the modem had failed and replaced it. After each visit it would work for a period of time, but eventually returned to the same old problem.

The latest replacement was a week ago and the connection dropping returned within a day.

Telus called me yesterday to ask how things were going now after I had complained to my rep. I explained that the two lights on the modem, one for internet and one for wifi were both on, but no connection via wifi. Speed test told me they could not locate the ISP. If I then did a hard reset with the boot button on the modem, the connection would resume, but the speed would be different every time. I have the high speed modem shown below, an Actiontec T3200M.

I have what Telus comicly refers to as high speed DSL that gives me 15 down and 1 up max and have been paying $85/month for unlimited data.

The guy who called was obviously Asian and put me on hold for well over 15 minutes while he investigated my complaint. When he returned, he told me he had figured out what the problem was; I had exceeded the connection's bandwidth as we had too many wifi devices. At that very time he told me there were 13 devices connected, too many for the connection to handle.

Bottom line, I needed a faster connection, but Telus cannot provide anything faster in my area due to the old tech in place. He suggested I upgrade to fibre optic when it bacame available and I told him I had applied for that annually for the past two years with no success as they had no lines in the ground.

I don't think our family is a normal user in that our adult daughter has a suite in the basement and is a teacher. She has two laptops, one for school and one personal, ditto for two iPads, one iPhone and one wireless printer. That's six wifi devices.

I myself have an iPhone, laptop, Mac Mini, iPad and two wireless printers. Also a smart TV. Toss in the wife's iPhone and iPad and we total 9 more devices although the Mini is connected via ethernet, yet it neither had a connection.

So what to do? Telus has been my ISP for two decades now and all my email is through them so I am reluctant to change three email addresses tied to my web site. Add to that the difficulty I had with Shaw cable when I used them previous to Telus. Their service sucked.

So, Telus stated they were immediately reducing my monthly fee by $35 effective immediately as compensation.

Anyone else ever literally run out of bandwidth with an ISP in this day and age?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Short answer, they are full of it unless there's been some gross communication breakdown. Connected devices don't consume bandwidth. Connected devices with active connections do. Maybe they mean the router itself can't handle 10+ wifi clients, but that has no bearing on bandwidth.

Do you have an airport express you could use to provide Wifi? Set it to bridged mode and connect Ethernet from that router to it. You could give it a different SSID to test with.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sounds like a load of nonsense. Tech support over the phone is hit or miss with any company.

I recommend changing you wifi password.

Add one device.
Run speed test and see results. Make not of the ping/latency number. Think of that as "noise" on the line. Anything over 50 is no great. Over 100 real trouble.

Check all your devices that something doesn't run all the time in the background. Like bittorrent. It's designed to take all the available bandwidth. Run virus scans if they are pcs.

Add devices one by one and do speedtest each time. Add devices with some breaks in between to really get a sense.

If it is a device you should see your connection suffer when you add the device.

The only limit for the number of devices that can be added to wifi is the number of IP addresses limits. (254 less router, etc.)

After you've confirmed you are not the problem call for a service call. Be there when the technician arrives. Get him to check the box outside the quality of the cables the whole gamut. If you get a good guy then it should be easy.

After that if no luck change providers.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Sinc - this is why i never ever ever have people use ISP emails.. because of the issue you are having.. always use 3rd party like apple, gmail or hotmail.
that said you are going to have to make a life decision what to do.. I am sure they offer forwarding to new email address for no charge or for 3 months.
Have you researched any other options in your area for internet? what other options? possible even LTE hub service.. koodo has it and so does bell etc

also 13 or more devices are not the issue - as i am sure not all of them are streaming or used at the same time.
but for a 15 MB line 5 live devices should not be an issue.

also if it is an IP restriction issue then get an airport and put it in front of the telus unit to see - as someone else mentioned.

·
Premium Member
15,681 Posts
I didn't think that Telus actually enforces any cap on monthly download and copied what Shaw's guidelines have done almost forever.

The 150Mbps broadband that Shaw and Telus have been flogging for quite a while and extensively lately are overkill for the average family IMHO unless you have several users doing movie streaming, games, large downloads and all at the same time. That's what a large bandwidth allows and is for.

PS: A friend in Sidney is still on a Shaw cable and a 15Mbps speed cap that does him well and costs him about $35.00/month I believe.
15 down and 1 up max for $85/month for unlimited data is, or was, hiway robbery to me unless it also includes TV and/or telephone in the bundle.

Personally I'd request a NEW modem, not one of their refurbished/repaired units they seem to like using and re-using and see if that helps!!!

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
17,779 Posts
The response sounds bogus to me as well. Even if the modem will not handle all of your devices at once, things should clear up when only one or two are being used.

The advice regarding a new not refurbished modem would be a good starting point I think.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Each modem has been new right out of the box. That is the best modem Telus has, as it is the modem used for the new optik TV and fibre optic lines complete with a cable port. They upgraded me to it to try and help as they do not have one that is faster. Perhaps bandwidth is not the right term, but they do insist I have too many wifi devices for 15/1 to handle. They suggested turning off wifi on all devices except the ones being used which would be max of three and maybe one printer. I reconnected my two printers to USB and so far today, it has worked well with no lost connections with all devices off except 2 iPhones and the MacBook Pro.

·
Premium Member
15,681 Posts
Have you tried using a wired Ethernet connection, at least to try doing some testing?

If the dropouts are occurring when using Wi-Fi, then there's all the interference items to consider that could cause that problem.

Are all connected uses effected with the same problem?

Do you have a choice to switch or use different frequencies or channels?

For what it's worth, maybe there are some useful suggestions to maybe fix the problem here:
[BC] Anyone had problems with the T3200M? - Telus | DSLReports Forums (Page 3)

PS: I can't see how any wireless printers and used as such could cause any interference, but who knows???

- Patrick
======

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been there done that:

I myself have an iPhone, laptop, Mac Mini, iPad and two wireless printers. Also a smart TV. Toss in the wife's iPhone and iPad and we total 9 more devices although the Mini is connected via ethernet, yet it neither had a connection.

·
Registered
613 Posts
We had a similar problem with our Shaw service here on Vancouver Island. The problem stemmed from using a connected Apple router and the Shaw modem both providing WiFi services. The two WiFi signals conflicted causing them to drop.

Shaw figured it out soon after I reported it and the service has been stable since.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had a similar problem with our Shaw service here on Vancouver Island. The problem stemmed from using a connected Apple router and the Shaw modem both providing WiFi services. The two WiFi signals conflicted causing them to drop.

Shaw figured it out soon after I reported it and the service has been stable since.
I too had an Apple Extreme connected to the Telus router and and an Apple Express connected to it via wifi but they asked they be removed as it conflicted with the main router. I miss using them as I had always used them with the routers I had previously with Telus and they worked fine and frankly gave a much better signal.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I too had an Apple Extreme connected to the Telus router and and an Apple Express connected to it via wifi but they asked they be removed as it conflicted with the main router. I miss using them as I had always used them with the routers I had previously with Telus and they worked fine and frankly gave a much better signal.
did you have the Telus in bridge mode while you had the airport in place?
they would not be able to tell that you had more devices online other than the airport ..

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope I did not. Not even sure how to accomplish that. I had the Extreme in bridge mode and plugged in to the Telus via ethernet, then the Express to Extreme via wifi.

·
Premium Member
17,779 Posts
Been awhile and the Shaw modem may be different. I vaguely recall needing to plug the Airport ethernet cable into a certain port, then accessing the modem via its URL and disabling the wi-fi.

This is one thing your Telus service rep should be easily able to walk you through.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update. Since we have turned off wifi in all devices and only turned it on when we use said device, we have had steady and reliable connection with as advertised speed. Go figure it would be that easy to have solved and we struggled for a couple of years. Sheesh.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Just a quick update. Since we have turned off wifi in all devices and only turned it on when we use said device, we have had steady and reliable connection with as advertised speed. Go figure it would be that easy to have solved and we struggled for a couple of years. Sheesh.
that only proves they are controlling your bandwidth by / at their device end..

Nope I did not. Not even sure how to accomplish that. I had the Extreme in bridge mode and plugged in to the Telus via ethernet, then the Express to Extreme via wifi.
see that is the wrong way.. you achieve nothing in that set up..

1. get your ISP modem into bridge mode.. priority #1
2. then connect it to your airport which has been factory reset to be sure it is right, then set up as a normal wifi router.

then test your set up..

please take a picture of your telus make and model and i will assist you to put it in bridge mode.

there is a website for it this may help - please let me know either way
How to enable Bridge mode on a Telus v1000h/v2000h without root access!
https://giverhell.com/2016/02/20/ho...elus-optik-internet-by-enabling-bridged-mode/

·
Premium Member
15,681 Posts

That may work but it doesn't make sense if the devices are connected but not doing much.

Maybe try MacDoc's suggestion when you get back from your trip, and I hope it's a nice safe enjoyable one, and no bugs!!! :eek:

- Patrick
======

1 - 19 of 19 Posts