Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Man, if I were Pluto, I'd be suffering a major identity complex....

Pluto May Actually Be A 'Giant Comet,'

“We found an intriguing consistency between the estimated amount of nitrogen inside [a glacier on Pluto] and the amount that would be expected if Pluto was formed by the agglomeration of roughly a billion comets or other Kuiper Belt objects similar in chemical composition to 67P, the comet explored by Rosetta,” said Southwest Research Institute’s Christopher Glein in a press release.

Based on its chemical makeup, Pluto could simply be a “giant comet,” or as Glein said, the result of a billion comets coming together.

(HuffPo)​

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Incredible footage from JAXA's Explorer “Hayabusa2” as it lands and collects a sample from Asteroid Ryugu just a few days ago, 250 million km away from Earth!

JAXA’s Asteroid Explorer “Hayabusa2” collected a sample from asteroid Ryugu on 22 February 2019. The touchdown was captured using the onboard small monitor camera (CAM-H). The image of the site immediately after touchdown was taken with the Optical Navigation Camera – Wide angle (ONC-W1) on 22 February 2019.

Credit: JAXA, University of Tokyo, Kochi University, Rikkyo University, Nagoya University, Chiba Institute of Technology, Meiji University, Aizu University, AIST #Hayabusa2 #Ryugu

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xnInpqMiG4[/ame]

(Reddit)​

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hmmmmmm

Planet 9 Might Not Be a Planet[/B]

"What if Planet 9 is a Primordial Black Hole?" That's the title of a new paper about the mysterious gravity source at the edge of our solar system, Business Insider reports. Posted Tuesday on arXiv, the paper suggests that the still-unseen source—which some call Planet Nine, or Planet X—could actually be a small primordial black hole. That apparently fits what scientists see way out there, 20 times further than Neptune, where ice chunks have their own oval-shaped orbit in what's called the Kuiper Belt. Authors Jakub Scholtz and James Unwin, both physics PhDs, urge us to consider the notion of a relatively close black hole.

"By simply focusing on the concept of a planet, you restrict the experimental search that you’re undertaking," Unwin tells Gizmodo. "Once you start thinking about more exotic objects, like primordial black holes, you think in different ways." They say such a black hole might have been flying by when it got caught in an orbit of our solar system. For the record, primordial black holes are theoretical objects that might have been created soon after the Big Bang. And this one would be small, with a mass roughly 5 to 15 times that of Earth and size between a wallet and a bowling ball. The paper hasn't been peer-reviewed, but still, it's a thought.

(Newser)​

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
Hmmmmmm

Planet 9 Might Not Be a Planet[/B]

"What if Planet 9 is a Primordial Black Hole?" That's the title of a new paper about the mysterious gravity source at the edge of our solar system, Business Insider reports. Posted Tuesday on arXiv, the paper suggests that the still-unseen source—which some call Planet Nine, or Planet X—could actually be a small primordial black hole. That apparently fits what scientists see way out there, 20 times further than Neptune, where ice chunks have their own oval-shaped orbit in what's called the Kuiper Belt. Authors Jakub Scholtz and James Unwin, both physics PhDs, urge us to consider the notion of a relatively close black hole.

"By simply focusing on the concept of a planet, you restrict the experimental search that you’re undertaking," Unwin tells Gizmodo. "Once you start thinking about more exotic objects, like primordial black holes, you think in different ways." They say such a black hole might have been flying by when it got caught in an orbit of our solar system. For the record, primordial black holes are theoretical objects that might have been created soon after the Big Bang. And this one would be small, with a mass roughly 5 to 15 times that of Earth and size between a wallet and a bowling ball. The paper hasn't been peer-reviewed, but still, it's a thought.

(Newser)​

Now that's an intriguing possibility.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ceres - who'da thunk it?

Remember a couple of years ago, when we first saw the images of the "bright spots" at the bottom of a crater on Ceres when the probe visited, and we had fun speculating on everything from alien bases to... well, alien bases... what else could it have been?

Here's the latest conclusion:

Dwarf planet Ceres is an 'ocean world' with sea water beneath surface, mission finds

The dwarf planet Ceres – long believed to be a barren space rock – is an ocean world with reservoirs of sea water beneath its surface, the results of a major exploration mission showed on Monday.

Ceres is the largest object in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, massive enough to be shaped by its gravity, enabling the Nasa Dawn spacecraft to capture high-resolution images of its surface.

Now a team of scientists from the United States and Europe have analysed images relayed from the orbiter, captured about 35km (22 miles) from the asteroid.

They focused on the 20-million-year-old Occator crater and determined that there is an “extensive reservoir” of brine beneath its surface.

(The Guardian UK)​

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Hello, Bigot.

While an interesting read, leave it to The Grunion to call Ceres a planet. Guess they never took astronomy in Social Justice class...

Ceres - who'da thunk it?

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
Hello, Bigot.

While an interesting read, leave it to The Grunion to call Ceres a planet. Guess they never took astronomy in Social Justice class...

Maybe it is YOU that should have paid better attention with your astronomy learning...!!!

But maybe just leave it to show your lack of ignorance... idiot...and name caller!!! :mad:

Dwarf planet Ceres
Ceres (dwarf planet)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
This article is about the dwarf planet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceres_(dwarf_planet)

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hello, Bigot.
I wonder how many years will pass until you understand (if ever) how much of a joke you have made of yourself by applying that word to me. Truly astounding. Have to admire your stick-to-it-ness, I guess :lmao:

Also rather disturbing your obsession with me - how you take every opportunity to reveal your character in threads where one would hope civility could prevail.

Alas, the leopard cannot change his spots.

Truly sad the depths to which Canada's Mac Community has fallen.... :-(

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
I wonder how many years will pass until you understand (if ever) how much of a joke you have made of yourself by applying that word to me.
Also rather disturbing your obsession with me - ...

+1!!! And the ongoing immaturity of such comments and the language gets boring after a while, and got so a long time ago.

Truly sad the depths to which Canada's Mac Community has fallen....
Not even any complaints to the Admins have helped improve such comments or caused any changes.

Unfortunate for what used to be a nice helpful Mac site!!!

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Cool your jets, pm-r.

There's a significant difference between planet & dwarf planet. I was quite specific in my usage. In case you missed it, peruse to the end of the article where the corrections were noted. The brilliant editors at The Grunion originally called Ceres a planet. No dwarf noted anywhere.

The uninformed, ignorant Prog idiots at The Grunion masquerading as journalists have let their slip show once again.

And, and, if the so-called name-calling on these boards causes you so much concern, where was your outrage when this started against me years ago?

Maybe it is YOU that should have paid better attention with your astronomy learning...!!!

But maybe just leave it to show your lack of ignorance... idiot...and name caller!!! :mad:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Hello, Bigot.

You will take your bigotry & ignorance to the death-bed. Denial. Not just a river in Egypt.

I wonder how many years will pass until you understand (if ever) how much of a joke you have made of yourself by applying that word to me. Truly astounding. Have to admire your stick-to-it-ness, I guess :lmao:
Civility? You lecturing someone else on civility?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Also rather disturbing your obsession with me - how you take every opportunity to reveal your character in threads where one would hope civility could prevail.
Canada's Mac community is doing just fine. And, now that most of the <spit>Progs have left ehMac, it's also doing much better.

Truly sad the depths to which Canada's Mac Community has fallen.... :-(

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
You've been on these boards for over 11 years. Once again I ask: where has your outrage been for the last decade? Why is it suddenly now when those of us who have been on the receiving end for years finally fight fire with fire that it becomes an issue?

Let's look at cause & effect, shall we?

+1!!! And the ongoing immaturity of such comments and the language gets boring after a while, and got so a long time ago.
The Admins are merely happy to get views.

Not even any complaints to the Admins have helped improve such comments or caused any changes.
From what I can see, most of the site is still helpful. It's only on Everything Else that the Progs are finally getting a nice, healthy serving back of what they've been dishing out for years.

Unfortunate for what used to be a nice helpful Mac site!!!

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You've been on these boards for over 11 years. Once again I ask: where has your outrage been for the last decade? Why is it suddenly now when those of us who have been on the receiving end for years finally fight fire with fire that it becomes an issue?

Let's look at cause & effect, shall we?
Well, now that this thread has been permanently derailed... sigh....

A quantitative and qualitative analysis of your and my interaction on these boards will show, quite convincingly, that you were the aggressor from the get-go. On a handful of occasions you pushed me to the point where I lost my temper and answered you in kind.

That was my mistake, because it gave you the basis upon which to now play the wounded victim, pursuing a gaslight strategy in this forum, and place the blame on the very person you attacked with great vigor (if not variety - it's become so very tiresome, your incessant Prooooooooogs! inanities.

I know my own character. I am conscious of my interactions with other human beings. I'm rather pleasant to be around and to engage with on topics of interest. The mental image I have of you is... not these things. You bully, you employ denigrating language, you belittle people who don't share your warped worldview. Interactions with you are entirely disagreeable.

This thread - scientific discoveries and all the cool things that our solar system contains - now permanently marred because you couldn't resist another opportunity to be ...you.

EhMac. What a pity....

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
An interesting article worth reading in full, if you're into things like the intricacies of designing a spacecraft to withstand the radiation swamp that is the jovian orbit. It's also terribly depressing - this thing could be on its way to Jupiter tomorrow, but it's -by law- only allowed to launch on NASA's SLS (Space Launch System) rockets... which are, of course, horribly over budget and may never actually fly. The pork-belly funding schemes in the US Congress mean jobs and economic stimulus in the areas where components are built, but they're out of control - impacting science goals to an unreasonable degree (just like those tanks that keep getting built that the US military doesn't actually want or need).

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
I thought you said Gallifrey!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts