Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Ottawa ehMacians - Canal closed to skating today. How long to re-open?

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ehMax 
#1 ·
A friend is going to Ottawa for the weekend. The canal is closed today due to the warm weather. Tonight overnight, it's supposed to get to -8º and Saturday stay -8º.

Those with experience on this, any chance canal could be opened late Saturday or Sunday?

#2 ·
It closed Wednesday night and with the pouring rain overnight last night and the fact it's plus 13 here right now I'd be surprised if it's open for Sunday... It could happen if it's colder than the plus 3 forecast for tomorrow but I'd doubt it...

#4 ·
Radio was suggesting tomorrow.

Forecast
Tonight
Increasing cloudiness.
Rain showers and flurries beginning this evening changing to a few flurries near midnight.
Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 50.
Low: minus 8 °C
Saturday
Cloudy with sunny periods.
60 percent chance of flurries in the morning.
Wind northwest 30 km/h.
Temperature steady near minus 9.
Saturday night
Clearing.
Wind northwest 30 km/h becoming light late in the evening.
Low: minus 14 °C
Sunday
Sunny.
High: minus 4 °C
Monday
Snow.
Low: minus 12 °C
High: minus 8 °C
Tuesday
Sunny.
Low: minus 22 °C
High: minus 11 °C
Wednesday
Sunny.
Low: minus 15 °C
High: minus 2 °C
Thursday
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries.
Low: minus 9 °C
High: zero °C

Current Weather in Ottawa

#9 ·
Red flags - closed, green flags - open.

More Information About the Rideau Canal Skateway
Ice conditions: 613-239-5234 (updated daily)
Information: 613-239-5000 or 1-800-465-1867

#10 ·
"Red sky at night, sailors delight ........ red sky in the morning, sailors take warning" ......... red flags on the Rideau means get out your water wings.

#16 ·
Not sure why anyone is surprised... :confused: There seems to be a thaw every year right in the middle of Winter/Waterlude..... Regular as clockwork...

Like you, I'm not surprised. Winterlude always seems to be struck by warm weather.

#19 ·
Should followup... The Canal ended up being partially opened on Sunday, but I ended up going to the Museum of Civilization. I utterly and thoroughly enjoyed it, and want to go back again when I have more time!

Spent most of my time in the Canada Hall. A fascinating trip down Canadian history. The museum is really top notch with some great displays. If you're in Ottawa, I recommend checking it out. Only cost $30 for whole family, $10 parking underground, and free coat-check.

On Monday, we went skating on canal. Ice was in a little rough condition, but it was good. Started at half-way point, and did 3.2 KM to the main entrance close to the parliament building. We walked around the ice sculptures... Some of the bigger ones took a hit from the sun. We had some beaver tales and got our sugar fix for the week. After that, walked to the Parliament Buildings. My second time seeing the building, and its just as impressive. The most beautiful building I've seen to date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.