Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How realistic is it to get OS X running on generic (i.e., not the grossly overpriced Apple) hardware? Is such a machine just a geek toy, or is it something that can actually be used as a production machine on a daily basis?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Geek toy. If you get it running, you have to deal with patched updates, drive issues, and no support from Apple at all.

Edit: Didn't see that last bit about running it on a production machine - definite no-go. I would NEVER in a million years trust mission-critical tasks to patched and hacked software.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Definitely no on the whole production machine thing. There are too many hacks and patches put into the OSx86 project to make it reliable for mission critical work.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
You're far better off buying a refurb MacMini then trying to run OSx86 (I've been down that road before). Mac Mini refurbs from Apple are a hair over $500 which is about what you'll spend on a machine that'll run OSX anyway and there's a host of fun mod's you can do to the Mini if that's your thing.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Andrew Pratt said:
You're far better off buying a refurb MacMini then trying to run OSx86 (I've been down that road before). Mac Mini refurbs from Apple are a hair over $500 which is about what you'll spend on a machine that'll run OSX anyway and there's a host of fun mod's you can do to the Mini if that's your thing.

...except you wouldn't want a Mac mini for a production machine ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have a Mac Mini and an iBook G4. I was hoping to be able to have a Mac Pro-grade machine without paying triple for the same hardware.

Damn damn damn.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Dick Hertz said:
I already have a Mac Mini and an iBook G4. I was hoping to be able to have a Mac Pro-grade machine without paying triple for the same hardware.

Damn damn damn.
You make me sad inside.

;)

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Apple makes money off hardware, not the operating system.

·
Registered
288 Posts
And thats pretty much what the original poster said when he said overpriced which is why he wanted to know about any possible alternatives.

Sadly I agree with everyone else - it would be a geek toy because there is no real easy way to do patches and updates without lots of tinkering so it wouldnt be suitable to build ones own X86 machine for running OSX.

dona83 said:
Apple makes money off hardware, not the operating system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.