Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed OSX on my G3 Beige a couple months back but had still been starting up in 9.2. I wasn't using OSX because all I heard on this and other boards was that it would be way to slow on my machine. Well a couple days ago I started up in OSX and started running my OS 9 apps. in classic mode and everything runs great. It doesn't seem to be sluggish at all. I'm actually quite impressed. Not quite as smooth as on my G4 800 EMAC but still not bad.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
People told you that because they're all obbessed with their high-end G4's and turn down older machines. I've had 10.2.3 run on my 366 MHz G3 like a dream.

No offense to anyone -- never ask how OSX will run on your machine, just try it yourself. Besides, what speed you find acceptable is completely opinion-based. There's no right or wrong answer.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just keep in mind that OS X isn't officially supported on the Beige G3 machines. The term "Your mileage may vary" takes on a new expansive perspective on this matter.

However, it's not impossible.

:cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Strongblade:
Just keep in mind that OS X isn't officially supported on the Beige G3 machines. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it is technically supported; supported under every Apple-built G3/G4 processor. But yeah, I know what you're saying. Not supported above the fact that it can install on a Beige G3.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
X runs quite well on Beiges. Here are the best areas of upgrade to improve the performance.
RAM - get a least 384 = cheap thrills
Video card - ANYTHING helps but the 16 meg Rage 128s are decent and available - the Radeon 7000 has been problematic but may be fixed now
Processor bump anywhere 300 1 meg to 533 1 meg - no G4s for X unless you are a bear for punishment.
Drive speed
A newer drive will help
A newer drive WITH an ATA card will really help ( like 4x faster )
We have X running reasonably on G3 233 Powerbooks so a Beige is quite a decent platform
;)
I do wish Apple wold have a "light" version with less eye candy but then there would be less incentive for "new iron". sales

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Strongblade:
[qb]Just keep in mind that OS X isn't officially supported on the Beige G3 machines.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it is technically supported; supported under every Apple-built G3/G4 processor. [/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except the first G3 PowerBook (Kanga). Not supported at all on that model. If you buy Jaguar and install it on any supported machine you can call them for help, this includes the Beige G3s.

--PB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts