Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my copy of 10.2 today!!! I have a few questions so any help would be appreciated. I am currently using a RevB iMac with OS 8.6, 160MB of RAM, 6MB of VRAM and a 4 Gig hard drive. I am eager to try 10.2 but what should I do as far as upgrading goes? I understand there is a law of diminishing returns when you are putting money into a machine. Should I just install OS 9.2? Should I install Jaguar? Is my RAM adequate or barely adequate for 10.2? Better suited to 9.2? Should I replace the hard drive (I see Futureshop has 40gig 5400 rpm drives under $100)? Should I not increase the hard drive first but rather the RAM?(added the extra 128MB myself and not scared to add more RAM or a hard drive) I'm going to check for drivers for my printer, scanner, digital camera, external burner, and digital camcorder (that I can't use in conjunction with my computer without a firewire port). Lastly my software is not all that OS10 savy but should be for 9.2 (not a hugre issue as I plan to use the Apple iApps and goodies and my copy of Office 2001 in the Classic mode until I buy something for OS 10). I guess more than a few questions but any thoughts or questions I haven't considered would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Stay away from 10.2 on that machine. You're lacking 2 major things that will lackluster OS X performance:

- No OpenGL video
- Lack of RAM

The RevB also can only hold like 192 or 256 RAM as well, and that just barely cuts the line for performance. For OS X, you'll want 384 MB of RAM or more unless you don't mind slowdowns and pauses on a constant basis. My G3 at 366 MHz, Rage 128 16 MB (soon) and 544 MB of SDRAM run OS X smoothly for most things, but then again I have a OpenGL video card and LOADS of RAM, whereas you do not. Just install 9.2 on there for now. I would attempt to get a new Mac if I were you. Another reason is that your hard drive can install Jaguar, but then runs out of room. Jajuar is a massive install, and who know how much space you have still left on your HD. Jaguar 10.2 is close to 2 GB in size, I beleive.

As with Classic Mode, it would be slow with that little RAM as well. What speed is your machine? In short, you're lacking major components to run 10.2 even acceptably... if you have a 333 MHz iMac with 256 RAM, it will run, acceptable depending on what you see as fast, but don't expect performance to even compare to OS 9 or 8.5. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lars, Thanks that does help. It is a Rev B alas just 233mhz. I was thinking of reponding to another post elsehwere for another 256 MB of RAM. May just go with 9.2 until I find a faster machine. Any others?

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
mmp,

I second that. The 233 just won't cut it. You can probably sell it for a few hundred, then add what you would have spent on a new hard drive and RAM, to buy a newer used iMac (like a DV400 or something) that would give you a much better experience.

'course, this advice is coming from someone who is about to install Jaguar on a Tangerine ibook 300mhz / 288ram / 3.2gig HD :D :D

M

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CubaMark,
Thanks for the input as well. Let me know how it runs on your ibook.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
a) try it but don't expect a joyous experience - it'll be a slug.
b) sell it $350-$450 retail
c) get out of closed architecture so you can upgrade as you want and need to
You've been lucky with your iMac. You may not be so lucky with the next one.
Better a beige or blue both of which have good flexibility as far as upgrades and are far cheaper to fix if something goes wrong.
DON'T try and upgrade anything on that iMac or you risk it ending in the garbage can. They cook themselves to death and get very fragile. :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
macdoc,
Please stick around...the move to 9.2 must be worth it. At least I could use iTunes, iPhoto? whattaya think all?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mmp:
macdoc,
Please stick around...the move to 9.2 must be worth it. At least I could use iTunes, iPhoto? whattaya think all?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

iPhoto is OS X only, but iTunes 2 works with OS 9.2 iTunes 3 is OS X only as well.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The early iMacs are a bit underpowered, out of the box, for OS X. Even maximizing RAM and increasing the HD space isn't going to give you much performance, however, they are rated to run with OS X.

Minimum requirements for OS X are a G3 processor, 128MB RAM and about 4GB of HD space which basically can be done with any iMac, but I suspect anything under 300 MHz and lower video card than 16MB will not be very fast.

Personally, I'd recommend a minimum of 256MB RAM, at *LEAST* a 6GB hard drive (Partitioned into a 5GB partition for OS X and a separate 1GB (or even 500MB) for OS 9.

You'd want a MINIMUM of an 8MB Video card.

Anything Pre-iMac is not guaranteed to work, as it is not supported by Apple for OS X. Even if the specifications are valid. Some people have managed to get a few to work though, so it is not impossible.

:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts