image management

• I use other software

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My first poll. I'm interested in seeing how many people use the default Apple apps - or alternatives. I consider other Apple apps like FCP and DVD Studio Pro to be alternatives. If you use an iApp plus another app for the same thing just check off the one you use most often. Please respond with any software you use in place of an iApp.

[ February 20, 2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: vacuvox ]

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops - i forgot Garage Band! How could I? Well it seems like a shoe-in. But let us all know if there is actually something else you prefer (I'm still attached to Logic).

[ February 20, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: vacuvox ]

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

I like your poll and I think it's a good idea, but it would have been nice if there was a third option where I could state that I use both. For example, I use Safari, Explorer, and Camino as some sites do not work well in Safari, while others only work with Explorer. Also, a fourth option where I could state that I use neither. For example, some people don't use iMovie or an alternative.

Needless to say, I did not vote and since I didn't vote I cannot view the results. :-(

James

·
Registered
449 Posts
VacuVOX:

I have used Safari, Mail and additionally Address Book exclusively since coming to OSX. Even importing address books from a friends PC was simple. I find iMovie2 and perhaps 3 OK for consumer use but my needs make FCP my default app for video. iMovie4 offers some improvements for simple projects and burning to DVD from there is very easy. I have, however, found iDVD4 from the iLife4 suite to be very easy for me to use. Will enjoy learning more about all the iLife4 apps as I use them.

Don't need or use iCal but am a big fan of Safari. Even without running Panther as I'm living in 10.2.8.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I use iPhoto, iMovie and iTunes. you can't beat the integration. For email/PIM functions, however, I use MS Entourage. it's blows my mind that no other company has integrated FULL email capabilities with FULL PIM capabilities. To me, given the world we live in, today, this is a no-brainer.

Recently, however, I started using iCal as an overview project planner. I also use its 'Publish" feature to post online schedules for a choir I conduct. VERY handy.

As for pitting FCP and other heavy-iron apps as options to iLife, I think that's a little unfair. iLife is DIRT-CHEAP and consumer oriented, and using Final Cut Pro at over $1,000.00 instead of iLife should not be seen as a bad reflection upon iLife. Now, comparing FCE or Avid DV Express? Maybe... but the question should probably encompass other apps that ARE intended for consumer use.

On the other hand, I used to spend AT LEAST $250.00/year (EASILY) getting my visual demo edited at some online editing facility. Sine iMovie came out, however, I've probably made over $200,000.00 in the past three years, getting work with the aid of VHS demo reels that I MYSELF have edited, titled and formatted using iMovie. I also use iMovie to capture video off of VHS that i score music to. So, although iMovie is aimed at consumers, it's capabilities far exceed its design

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes - i realize it is far from an ideal poll. but i can't edit it once it has been posted. And you can't re-vote. If you find you can't choose between the options in any one question you can just omit that one question.

I'm still slogging my virtual world-wide-ass over to OSX. I'm mainly interested in seeing how many people find the iApps suit their every need.

I'm particularly vexed by the rampant file iteration of iPhoto (and iTunes?). Yuck! This data is all but undecipherable when viewed in the finder - and not accessable to other applications. I hate that. Is it just me and my OS9 walnut-sized brain?

But I love Safari, iMovie is amazing for what it is - same with iDVD (anyone have an opinion of how the MPEG2 encoding compares to other apps - like Toast?)

Finally - wondering whether to use iCal, Mail and Address rather than Palm Desktop and Mailsmith (from whence I am migrating). Anyway, all input is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vacuvox:

If you find you can't choose between the options in any one question you can just omit that one question.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

I'm afraid not. If I leave any of the options blank, it will not accept my vote for the others. Anywa, without voting anonymously, I use iTunes, iCal, Mail, Address Book, and Safari.

James

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Yes, the folder structure of iPhoto appears ridiculous -- because it is not meant for prying eyes ;)

Apple doesn't point this out, but if you know some tricks in iPhoto, you NEVER really need to go into the folders it creates to do your thing. Obviously, you can delete a photo or photos from your drive within iPhoto. You can export some photo or photos to email. you can archive to CD. And, if all you simply want is a a photo or photos on your desktop, as in moving them OUT of the nestled folder iPhoto put them in in the first place, then simply drag the photo(s) out of iPhoto's window onto your desktop. That's it. Just drag it. This will make a copy, of which you can now delete the photo from your drive within iPhoto.

You can also do this with MP3 files in iTunes. Dragging an MP3 in iTunes' library or playlist to a folder or the Desktop will make a copy of that MP3.

So, don't bother with the traditional ways of file handling. Use the iApps as your managerial front-end.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I'd just like to mention that iPhoto Diet and iPhoto Buddy have been great little third party apps that make iPhoto that much better to work with. My iPhoto library was so huge that it was really slowing down so I got iPhoto Buddy and made my own individual Libraries (with names that make sense) saved in the same location as the other libraries (I run cron jobs to back these up). I now launch iPhoto Buddy instead of iPhoto & select which library I'd like to view.

iPhoto has an annoying habit of making a copy of the picture when you change the original by rotating it. I use iPhoto Diet to get rid of these copies - it scans my libraries then lets me delete the duplicates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts