Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't yet installed any additional fonts into OSX. Where does one install fonts so that they'll be accessible to most apps (AppleWorks, Word, etc.)? I know there are weveral font folders. Will OSX take the same fonts as OS9? In other words, can I just use my original fonts from OS9?

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I should always do a search on a topic before inquiring. I found that all fonts can reside in in either the root font folder or Classic's System font folder. What about the 128 limit of OS9? Can you use unlimited fonts in OSX? Will it get bogged down with hundreds? What about Classic's System? Is it still limited to 128?

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
A few things to know about OS X and fonts

First, you absolutely need to check your fonts to make sure they are not corrupted/damaged and in the right format. I've have found that OS X is very sensitive to font problems and just pitching your fonts collection into OS X without checking them is just asking for trouble.

Secondly, OS X has no theorecial limit to how many fonts you can use and install however experiecne shows that its gets slow to launch most apps that check and cache the font list (Adobe apps, Word, etc...) You really should have a good font management program to alleviate this problem and no, in my opinion, Panther's Font Book is not up to the task, not to mention it doesn't work with all programs and such.

Finally, if you are going to use fonts in Classic without a management program then be aware that the only place you can put the fonts is in the Classic system folder. Furthermore, a reboot of Classic is requires before you can use them. OS X will look in the Clasic system folder for fonts for OS X applications as well as the various /Library locations in the system.

Moral of the story: Get a good font management program, stay away from using Classic apps as much as possible (upgrade your Quark or better yet, move to InDesign, which works perfectly with Font Book I might add) and use something like Font Doctor to check your fonts BEFORE you use them in Mac OS X.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Always worth mentioning is that OSX can use PC TrueType fonts (and Apple ones, of course). Drop 'em in an approprate library folder and go.

/library: can be used globally by any application
/username/library: can only be used while logged in as that user
/System/Fonts [os9]: can be used globally

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.