Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Disk Warrior someone gave me on CD- 2.1.1 I previously used DW 2.0 on my Mac OSX partition. With 2.1.1, I see that it does a folder type of comparison- and this is the first time I've seen this notice in red before clicking "replace": "Comparison of the original and the replacement directory indicates that there will be changes to the number, the contents and/or the attributes of the files and folders. It is recommended that you preview the replacement directory and examine the item listed below." I decided to check with you guys before going ahead on replacing the directory on my Mac OSX partition, which has 16% out of order. Does DW 2.1.1 check something that 2.0 doesn't?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It's a safety feature. If there are changes, it should tell you what those changes are, right? Icons, date stamps, etc are all minor.

You can preview the replacement directory (as it says) and look for changed files. However, in OSX you probably have hundreds of thousands of files, so this isn't a reasonable thing to attempt, unless you don't have anythig to do for a few days.

A reasonable solution is to look at the files it says it's going to update/change and look for a critical file that may be missing on the new directory. (I rarely do, but will if things seem unusually screwed up).

For what it's worth, if there is directory damage (minor, it sounds like) then generally it doesn't get better; it tends to deteriorate over time as you use the HD. Leave it too long and you Mac may have trouble finding files, prompting you to find them yourself with a dialog box.

So, unless something really weird is going on, go ahead and replace the directory.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts