Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to help a friend update/upgrade his iMac system.

We have a TimeMachine backup of the current setup in 10.5.8.

We want to end up at 10.11 (elCap) which is the latest his iMac can use.

Can we simply migrate after a clean install of 10.11 using the 10.5.8 TimeMachine? Will email be OK?

any and all opinions welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,561 Posts
I am trying to help a friend update/upgrade his iMac system.

We have a TimeMachine backup of the current setup in 10.5.8.

We want to end up at 10.11 (elCap) which is the latest his iMac can use.

Can we simply migrate after a clean install of 10.11 using the 10.5.8 TimeMachine? Will email be OK?

any and all opinions welcome.

That's a pretty big jump. Certain apps, like AppleWorks for sure, will no longer function. Probably many others as well. Might want to check all the system update compatibility charts for the last ten years or so if your friend is planning to still run any old apps. Might be cheaper to just get a new iMac with all the apps already installed and working and then just open the files from Time Machine.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
No way would I rely on a single back-up for this project. Clone the drive to a second external HD using CCC or SuperDuper. This will give you more options if the TM route proves problematic or fatal.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Unless you've maxed out the RAM and put in an SSD, anything that runs 10.5 is going to be unusably slow with 10.11. Even then, it's going to be slow.

Make sure you get a good backup - you'll likely want to revert back to 10.6 to keep it usable.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a pretty big jump. Certain apps, like AppleWorks for sure, will no longer function. Probably many others as well. Might want to check all the system update compatibility charts for the last ten years or so if your friend is planning to still run any old apps. Might be cheaper to just get a new iMac with all the apps already installed and working and then just open the files from Time Machine.
Thanks. Not too concerned as we realise apps will need to be updated or replaced. It is the email I am more concerned about.

·
Premium Member
5,561 Posts
Thanks. Not too concerned as we realise apps will need to be updated or replaced. It is the email I am more concerned about.

If your friend has iCloud, if shouldn't matter, should it? Assuming you're using Apple Mail course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I recently took a friend's 2008 iMac from Snow Leopard to a clean install of Mavericks after cloning the HD using CCC. No issues at all and it ran nicely with only 2 GB of RAM. All mail transferred without issue.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
If Mail is set-up as iMAP, then there should be no issues. If it is POP and everything is stored locally it could prove more challenging, but a good CCC clone should assure you can successfully recover everything.

Might also be a good idea to export your address book as Vcards. They could then just be imported back into your new address book without having to restore it from a back-up.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the replies - useful info for the most part.

Not too concerned about speed. I have experience with the same model with 4gig and HD. Whie I wouldn't want to edit video on it it is plenty fast enough for general browsing and email.

Email in IMAP is also a good point. I will have to see if they are using IMAP or POP but since not having updated since 10.5 I am expecting POP.

SINC's hint about starting from 10.6 is a good one. I happen to have an install disc for that.

This concurs with this link https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7252842?start=0&tstart=0

re: cloning.. I am guessing update to 10.6 and clone that??

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was asked to install 10.7 first from 10.6 then to 10.11.Yes it is slower but it gets there - no Photoshop for me anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts