Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta say, I'm surprised at the lack of discussion about the developments at WWDC (despite the Canadian WWDC streaming issue thread).

There are a bunch of things that are interesting to me:

• minimum 2 gigs of RAM: this is really surprising, that -although unrealistic IMHO- they've kept the system requirements so low.
  • 10.10 changes the behaviour of the green "expand" button in the Finder to be a fullscreen button. Is this Apple finally capitulating to all of the Windows users who switched and just could not understand what the green button did?
  • Translucency everywhere. On any new install of OSX, my first trip is to the System Preferences to turn off the translucent menu bar. Looks like Apple is going hardcore in this direction...
  • iCloud Drive. Welcome back, iTools?
  • Mail now incorporates a feature that lets you send up to a 5-gigabyte attachment (auto embeds a link to an iCloud Drive file). Useful... if it works as advertised.
  • A whole whack of changes to Safari....
I've signed on to the OS X Public Beta program, but I don't know yet if I got in under the cutoff (first million signups). Let's hope...

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
.... Runs on the same computers as Mavericks.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
My computer is too old. I feel shunned.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Translucency was introduced back in windows vista so it's nothing new for an OS and I hate it and surprised Jony has chosen this path. I will also turn this sucker off. It's noise.

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
Is there any way to run this in a VM or should I sacrifice my daily-runner for this?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Translucency was introduced back in windows vista so it's nothing new for an OS and I hate it and surprised Jony has chosen this path. I will also turn this sucker off. It's noise.
In the brief time I had 10.10 installed, I saw no way to turn off the transparencies.

Unfortunately, I had too many issues and had to revert to 10.9.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
In the brief time I had 10.10 installed, I saw no way to turn off the transparencies.

Unfortunately, I had too many issues and had to revert to 10.9.
It is still a little green. Only show stoppers I've hit this week are is that aperture is somewhat broken (at least once you start editing a photo.)

Going to hold out for the next update, if it isn't addressed I'll be rolling back for a while.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
It is still a little green. Only show stoppers I've hit this week are is that aperture is somewhat broken (at least once you start editing a photo.)

Going to hold out for the next update, if it isn't addressed I'll be rolling back for a while.
My biggest issue was that Mail was crashing a few seconds after opening. Granted, I could have let it redownload everything from Exchange, but I didn't feel like redoing all my rules/settings.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Is there any way to run this in a VM or should I sacrifice my daily-runner for this?

Cheers
I have not been able to get this running in a virtual machine yet. I did see a blog about a guy who had it running in Virtual Box but was unable to get that work, I find virtual box confusing compared to the simplicity of parallels. I am installing mavericks as a virtual machine right now in parallels and will see if I can then upgrade to Yosemite after that.

I would not sacrifice a daily use machine, this is a beta. Virtual machines are always best for this sort of thing in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I have not been able to get this running in a virtual machine yet. I did see a blog about a guy who had it running in Virtual Box but was unable to get that work, I find virtual box confusing compared to the simplicity of parallels. I am installing mavericks as a virtual machine right now in parallels and will see if I can then upgrade to Yosemite after that.

I would not sacrifice a daily use machine, this is a beta. Virtual machines are always best for this sort of thing in my opinion.
I've got it working in VMWare. I duplicated my Mavericks VM, and upgraded.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
You shouldn't be surprised by the whole system transparency. This is the way iOS7 has gone, I expect x.x the same.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
My biggest issue was that Mail was crashing a few seconds after opening. Granted, I could have let it redownload everything from Exchange, but I didn't feel like redoing all my rules/settings.
Sounds like it could be GPGMail if you're using it. I had the same problem until I uninstalled it.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
I am getting stuck on this window when trying to install in parallels 9. I can use the keyboard arrows to move back and forth between the 2, but when I hit enter on Macintosh Hard Drive it does nothing. If I hit enter on Recovery HD it brings up the usual recovery windows when it boots.

I am trying to run this installer from Mavericks, clean install in parallels.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Sounds like it could be GPGMail if you're using it. I had the same problem until I uninstalled it.
I had it installed a while ago, but thought I'd removed it. Did you just remove the plugin bundle? I know I deleted all of those, and it still crashed. I may give it another try over the weekend, after uninstalling all my system extras.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I am getting stuck on this window when trying to install in parallels 9. I can use the keyboard arrows to move back and forth between the 2, but when I hit enter on Macintosh Hard Drive it does nothing. If I hit enter on Recovery HD it brings up the usual recovery windows when it boots.

I am trying to run this installer from Mavericks, clean install in parallels.
might want to follow this guide to install Mavericks.

KB Parallels: How to install OS X 10.9 Mavericks in a Virtual Machine in Parallels Desktop 9

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I had it installed a while ago, but thought I'd removed it. Did you just remove the plugin bundle? I know I deleted all of those, and it still crashed. I may give it another try over the weekend, after uninstalling all my system extras.
I ran the uninstaller.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
I ended up installing it on a C2D 15" MacBook Pro. OS 10.10 is surprisingly snappy on this older machine (2.66 c2d, 4 gigs of ram). I am sure part of it is the SSD that I installed last week.

Is there a way to adjust the transparencies for things like the dock? I do not see it in preferences anywhere.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
System Prefs>Desktop & Screen Saver>Desktop>Translucent Menu Bar - uncheck
Well, no. That's only for the menu bar.

There's an option in Accessibility for reducing transparencies. I haven't done a detailed comparison but it definitely removes it in Safari and Messages.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts