Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

Those of you out there who may have illegally downloaded either Photoshop CS4 or iWork 09 may be at risk of unwittingly installing a Trojan on your Mac. Reports have been posted that this Trojan has been activated. Article here:

First Mac OS X botnet activated - Business - Macworld UK

There is a link in the article to a free removal tool supplied by SecureMac.

Again, this is a Trojan, not a worm or anything that can propagate itself automatically from Mac to Mac, and the only way it can get onto your Mac is if YOU install certain stolen copies of certain applications. As these installers require you to input your admin password, once you do you become this Trojan's bitch. It preys upon human weakness and not a weakness of Mac OS X.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
While it may be news that it was "activated" the news of this Trojan was all over the place in January, so if downloaders of the infected iWork and CS4 haven't removed it from their systems by now, they deserve to become zombies or already are. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
While it may be news that it was "activated" the news of this Trojan was all over the place in January, so if downloaders of the infected iWork and CS4 haven't removed it from their systems by now, they deserve to become zombies or already are. ;)
agreed! I love how people think that downloading software that they did not pay for is some how not stealing!

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this story started a couple of months ago. What I am posting is that the Trojan has NOW kicked in... and that there is NOW a removal tool for it.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
I don't like to laugh at people's misfortunes but if you illegally download something that includes a virus or whatnot... :lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Zombie machines are in my opinion, everyone's concern, not just those infected.

They can spam, they can continually hound other sites affecting everyone in some sort of way.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I don't like to laugh at people's misfortunes but if you illegally download something that includes a virus or whatnot... :lmao::lmao::lmao:
oh i have had calls where people except the warranty to cover this problem too.
LOL

·
Registered
376 Posts

They can spam, they can continually hound other sites affecting everyone in some sort of way.
I'm so glad somebody brought up that point.

All of the people talking about how the pirates got what they deserved don't seem to be clued in to the fact that the victims here are the targets of the DDoS.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Yawn ..

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts

Never said they weren't of concern. Simply stated that if you download illegal software, then don't take action on the ample warnings that were posted all over the net for weeks and didn't do anything about being infected and your machine has become a zombie, you have gotten what you deserved. Because if you didn't take action to avoid it (your machine becoming a zombie), you pretty much are already are a zombie yourself. :D (Night of the Living Brain Dead!!)

·
Registered
254 Posts
thank god I downloaded from apple and just used another serial to activate it...

I kid.

Seriously. good luck to all those affected who purchased a legitmate copy.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
What happens?

Hi All:

I don't have any illegal downloads. I have a few apps that were put on my system by a legit copy from a legit user: it was a favor from the friend to me. I was thinking about purchasing a copy of CANVAS X through a website. How do I know that these are not 'bad' websites? I've asked this question before but no one has yet replied. I'm also curious: what happens when a mac gets a Trojan virus? Just wondering.
Thanks for your responses.
Ciaochiao

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Hi All:

I don't have any illegal downloads. I have a few apps that were put on my system by a legit copy from a legit user: it was a favor from the friend to me. I was thinking about purchasing a copy of CANVAS X through a website. How do I know that these are not 'bad' websites? I've asked this question before but no one has yet replied. I'm also curious: what happens when a mac gets a Trojan virus? Just wondering.
Ciaochiao
only buy software downloads from the manufacture or just buy retail copies from your local store.

If you see a deal that is too good to be true, guess what...

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
I'm so glad somebody brought up that point.

All of the people talking about how the pirates got what they deserved don't seem to be clued in to the fact that the victims here are the targets of the DDoS.
And what would lead you to that conclusion? How does the fact that the rest of us are potential victims discount that the those who downloaded the the illegal software are getting what they deserve? The two are not mutually exclusive.

What are we supposed to say? "Poor illegal downloaders, their machines have become zombies, but it is the rest of us who are really the potential victims..." :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
I'm also curious: what happens when a mac gets a Trojan virus? Just wondering.
Ciaochiao
Hi Ciaochiao, it all depends on what it the Trojan was written to do. If you read the article at Macworld (the link is provided at the beginning of this thread) you will see what this particular one was written to do.

If you are paying for your software either through the original software developer's site or a reputable third party dealer you have no worries at all. You really need to be going to the "underbelly" of the net and looking for unscrupulous means of obtaining your software for contracting a Trojan to be of concern. :)

1 - 20 of 133 Posts