Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wonder, does OS X have any secret info-gathering-evil-background-running-with-my-knowledge-program that sends info back to Apple? I know WinXP has their stupid computer (and probably other things) info program so you don't pirate copies. I would imaging that Apple wouldn't do anything like that since they are so anti-big brother, but I just want to know, cause I don't like other people knowing every little damn thing I do. ;)

Thanks.

Oh yeah, being a new member, I need this explained to me: What is this bizare connection between Dr. G and dachshunds? Please explain.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
First of all, Apple does not have any evil little programs. So no worries there.

Second of all, Dr. G owns two daschunds (doxies) named Daisy and Rooty and well, I'll let him explain how these two dogs have become integral in his life and how they now are the saviors of ehMac as they parade around bringing chicken soup to those with colds.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Well, they might ask for your unique computer ID, like MS does (called the PID), but there isn't one. Hmmm

They could check to see if your OS registration key is valid, but there isn't one. Hmmm

They could run a check on the registry to see what programs & hardware you have installed, but there isn't one. Oh well.

Software Update uses a list of files to decide what you have and therefore what you need. You can check the list (and delete any item if you want) by going to:
Library: Recipts
... but if you do delete them, it will try to install updates you already have, or may not recognise some hardware (like a DVD burner).

It's a good trick, though, when you have software that refuses to install; deleting the relevant file can help.

As you will see if you peruse the file, it's not some monolithic semi-secret file like in Windows; they are separate files with more-or-less decipherable names.

Your IP address is unique, if that helps you feel more paranoid.

From my experience, Apple isn't all that interested in these kinds of things, mostly. If they were, you'd have to enter (at a minimum) a SW registration number for such Apple SW as the OS or AppleWorks.

I once bought a hacked version of an Apple program on eBay (I got an immediate refund, when I complained). However, it was hard to hunt down the Apple anti-piracy eMail address; it's not listed on Apple's website anywhere.

You decide. In my experience, it's things like Real Player and the like that are bigger problems on the Mac.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts