Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Mac OS X 10.2 'Jaguar' was released, some people who had just purchased 10.1 were able to upgrade for free. Does anyone remember how far back that grace period extended?

I ask because I'm trying to advise a client who wants to move from OS 8.6 to OS 9, but I don't want him to pay full price now and have to pay again in June when 10.3 'Panther' is released at the rescheduled WWDC.

If Apple sticks with its previous pricing patterns, 10.3 will be a paid upgrade from previous Mac operating systems including 10.2.

My assumptions may be completely wrong, but it seems prudent to consider this. Should we wait until April 23 (April 27?) to buy a copy of 10.2?

What do you think?
SMc

P.S. This message edited to correct the error noted below -- my confusion of 'Panther' (10.3 code name) with 'Puma'
 

·
Vorlon Ambassador
Joined
·
5,295 Posts
Well, according to a search of EhMac, Jaguar was released on August 24th... there were a few Jaguar breakfast lunches on that day although for some (those in the Ottawa area for instance), Jaguar didn't show up for awhile later.

On Apple's site they have the note "Mac OS X Up-To-Date Program: If you bought a Mac OS X v10.1 retail product or a qualifying new Macintosh that did not include Mac OS X version 10.2 ’Jaguar’ on or after July 17, 2002, you can upgrade to Jaguar for US$19.95."

So it sounds like Apple gave a grace period of about a month. Of course you need to know what the release date will be. I'm not sure I'd rely on this, Id rather wait until you know the release date (Apple should pre-announce the release date) and the grace period (Apple should also pre-announce this).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Jaguar wasn't free to anyone, except those who bought a new Mac after the announcement. 10.1 owners who had bought the OS I think 3 months earlier were allowed to upgrade for something like $20US.

10.1 was a free upgrade for 10.0 owners via a card shipped with the OS.

Although it is uncertain what sort of pricing is going to be applied with 10.3, it is reasonable to suspect some cost is going to be incurred from this pending upgrade.

I would have to say that if your client is thinking of just upgrading their OS, that if they can wait another 4-5 months (10.3 is suspected to be released July/August of this year) then they should. April might be a bit too soon to be eligible for any special upgrade path.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Or it could have been only 1 month, not 3. Thanks Kosh for refreshing my memory...


:cool:
 

·
Canadian By Choice
Joined
·
5,141 Posts
I don't think 10.3 will be released to retail till mid ot late August. The WWDC version for developers will be a preview.

I wish Apple would link .Mac to OS updates and give one years .Mac subscription with all new Macs. Would provide protection against OS obsolescence, ensure more rapid uptake of new system software and would show off .Mac. Could even have a .iMac and a .proMac ($25 for the former, basic options; $99 the latter including all OS updates for a year).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Basically, the grace period was between the time they officially announced 10.2 and the time that it shipped.

If you had bought 10.1 the day before the announcement, you had to once again pay full price when 10.2 was released.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top