Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that OS X is supposed to work on a G3 iMac but I was wondering if anyone has actually tried this, and what their experience was like.

I've been thinking that I still like my blueberry iMac (333) and the only thing I'd really, really like is to move on to OS X. The alternative, of course, is to buy a new computer ...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It will run acceptably. It's too bad you didn't get the iMac (350 MHz and above) that used AGP-video to boost performance. If you upgraded that to 256 RAM or more, OS X would be more than fine.

Don't expect wicked-fast speeds, but it won't be slow. Of course, what speed you find acceptable is completely opinion-based.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 10.2 running on a 233 iMac with 196mb ram and it is fine for word processing and email and surfing around.

Any graphic app will just implode.

It is actually very responsive.

Another torture test... :eek:

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
mrogers, I've been running OSX on my main (heck, my only!) computer for one full year now... Latest install is version X.1.5 (have yet to get my hands on Jaguar).

It is more than useable... the only limitations will be with gaming, frankly. My iBook (300mhz) has only a 4-meg video card, thus frame rates are pretty bad.

If you don't want to tax it with things like this, OS X will run fine on the 333 iMac.

Just FYI, Here are the apps I use on a daily basis:

PhotoShop 7.0.1
Eudora 5.2
OmniWeb 5.2
BBEdit 5
iTunes 3.0.1
Quicktime Pro
RealPlayer
Windows Media Player
GraphicConvert 4.5.2
Office 98 (Classic)
iPhoto

Really, my only limitation is hard drive space... 3.2 gigs is just a weeeeee bit too tight (which prompted my buying an external LaCie burner last spring).

:D
M

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Max out your RAM!!! I noticed a massive improvement moving from the pokey 128 MG to 384MG in our iMac DVs at school. Yeah...they're 500MHZ machines, but crawled and stuttered under OS 10.2.

I have the same memory configuration on my Blue and White and home. RAM DOES make a difference!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Absolutely max the Ram out, I went from 320 to 384, and that made a difference in 10.2.
I have a Powerbook G3 333, it may not be as smooth running like a G4, but I like it. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
At work we have a 300mhz or 400mhz iMac with only 192mb of RAM. It's runnind OS 10.2.3 I just did a complete re-install and it's fairly zippy. I found that once updated to 10.2.3 it speed up again. Repair Disk permissons with drive set-upvin the applications/utilittires/ fold will help speed it up. And of course using something like disk warrior to defrag will help too.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My G3/400 iMac runs OS X.1.5 accepably well, but 9 runs so much faster on it. I suggest you go ahead and put 10 on your machine if you already have it. You can play with it and still go back to 9 when you feel like. However, I wouldn't go out and buy 10 to run on your machine, unless you have a must-have application that requires it.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I had OS X 10.1.x (actually, I have 10.0.x installed before that too) with only 96 MB of RAM for a while. It was slow but it ran. When I doubled the RAM from 96 to 192, everything was WAAAY faster and more responsive. I imagine that Jaguar would be quite a bit better as well.

--PB

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, OK, I'll max out the ram! Are there instructions on how to install ram somewhere on the web? In the past, I've been afraid to do it on my own, but I'm older and possibly wiser now ...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrogers:
OK, OK, I'll max out the ram! Are there instructions on how to install ram somewhere on the web? In the past, I've been afraid to do it on my own, but I'm older and possibly wiser now ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunantly, the 333 MHz iMacs don't have a easy backdoor to open to install the RAM (unlike the 350 MHz AGP models and later). You need to take the iMac apart. It has some risks, but it's doable. I'd ask MacDoc about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts