Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking, since OS X is just a shell or a GUI for unix, has anyone seen it installed on a PC. Is there patches that could make it work on non Apple hardware?

I have some PC friends who really like it, but don't have 3k to drop on Mac hardware but would spend the $200 on OS X. If anyone has seen the this or anything like it, please post.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
"I have some PC friends who really like it, but don't have 3k to drop on Mac hardware but would spend the $200 on OS X."

...them and everyone else that's seen X...

There are persistent rumours [that have 'sort of' been confirmed] that Apple maintains a working x86 (PC) version of OS X. Unfortunately, Apple makes almost all of its revenue from hardware. So, the notion of making OS X available to every Joe (or Jane) with a $50 Pentium 133 probably keeps Mr. Jobs awake at nights out of pure terror. As I've had to do, you'll probably have to break the bad news to your friends that, if they want our oh-so-lickable OS, they'll have to drop a grand or two (or three, or four, or five...).

By the way, from what I've heard, this mythic PC copy of the OS is maintained so dilligently for "testing purposes" I think. Might also be as a last resort, if the universe were to suddenly implode, and everyone to stop buying Macs completely. Meanwhile, us mortals will merely have to deal with exospheric pricing.

(That's right, I said exospheric, not stratospheric
)

Cheers,
Podboy

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Apple is apparently maintaining a version of Mac OS X for x86 (codenamed Marklar), but I doubt they'd ever release it in a state where it could be used on commodity hardware. More likely is that it's being maintained in case the PowerPC stops being a viable processor, and Apple is forced to switch to a new architecture. If that happened, Apple could roll out Marklar rather quickly, along with Apple x86 machines (that, most certainly, would not be compatible with most x86 machines).

You have heard the rumours about the AMD-based Macs, no?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Darwin (the unix underpinnings of MacOSX) is (and always has been) available from Apple for x86 and PPC. The rest of the OS is Mac-only. If your buddies want to try OSX, but don't want to run the required hardware, the best answer is "you can't always get what you want".

Darwin x86 & PPC

·
Registered
438 Posts
adding onto what jfpoole said above, even if apple was to release marklar, it's not like you could stroll into your local computer vendor, pick up a copy of OSX (marklar) and throw it onto your *cough cough* beige box of doom and all of the pains of the world combined (heehhe, PeeCees) and expect it to run. YOU WOULD STILL NEED THE MAC OS X BOOT ROM!!! ;) ;) ;) And correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the boot rom a physical component on the motherboard?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
NeXTSTEP/OpenSTEP was originally on both PPC and x86 architectures, and some early screenshots I found of Rhapsody (the original code name of the project that became OS X) were running on a Pentium processor.

I am sure that Maklar is maintained, but I doubt you'd see it released any time soon. Releasing it would mean Apple would become a software company, not a hardware company, and Hardware (and investment income) are where Apple makes it's money, not software.

If Apple did release OS X on x86 machines, it would probably also be released on proprietary hardware, and so your buddies who didn;t want to drop 3k will still have to shell out.

--PB

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Interesting how the PC world still considers Macs to be 3K+. Seems to me, even in Canadian dollars, you can get a Mac for $1500.

iMacs start at 2 grand.

Brand new.

Canadian dollars too.

Your average PC may be cheaper, but the price gap constantly gets stretched to stupid proportions.

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts