Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... BootCD still isn't Tiger-compatible (and the developer has a snitty little "don't ask me when the update is coming" message on his website)....

Do we have any other options for creating bootable emergency CDs?

I'd like to have one on which I could keep my main utilities:

- DiskWarrior
- TechTool Deluxe
- maybe SuperDuper!

...and I hear that Onyx won't run from a CD, so I guess that's out regardless.

Solutions?

I thought of creating a CD-sized Disk Image, installing a bare-bones 10.4 install on that, and adding the apps I wanted, then burning the disk image - but obviously this won't work, or others would have done it / blogged about it / etc.

M

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Make a 5GB partition into your main hard drive and use that. (no reformatting required.)

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great - unless the drive craps out.

Plus - I only have four gigs free at the moment.... :(

I think it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a separate, bootable emergency drive. Guess I'll just have to pick up a second external drive (my current one is, for some reason, non-bootable FW).

This is the one downside to buying utilities like DiskWarrior as downloadables - no boot disk. :(

M

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
I think it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a separate, bootable emergency drive. Guess I'll just have to pick up a second external drive (my current one is, for some reason, non-bootable FW).M
Is your FW drive partitioned using the "Guid" partition table?
It needs this to be bootable in Tiger.

jb.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Is your FW drive partitioned using the "Guid" partition table?
Only if using an Intel Mac would you use GUID partition scheme.

It needs this to be bootable in Tiger
Not true AFAIK

Perhaps the chip set does not allow it to boot up from. I've seen a few enclosures act this way. Prolific and Oxford tend to play nice with Macs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts