Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, Steve J. announced that all new products will only boot into OS X. I am considering a new iBook/PowerBook. As of yet, I haven't even touched OS X, so, by upgrading from my G4/350 Sawtooth, I will have the opportunity to use OS X. I realize that 9 apps will still run in Classic, but what about Disk Warrior/Norton SystemWorks, etc. They could work on the drive by booting into 9. Now, without that option, am I forced into buying all new utilities for OS X? What are your opinions for someone such as I, who hasn't had any experience with OS X at all. Is this too big of a dive, or should I buy into an iBook that can still boot into 9?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The thing is, even if you did buy a Mac that could boot into Mac OS 9, the reality of it is this: Mac OS X is the future. No peices of software, hardware, or anything else will work under OS 9 anymore. You'd better make the switch to OS X now, before it gets too complicated, in my opinion. Buy the OS X version of your software that doesn't work in Classic, keep the rest that does work in Classic. Beleive me, in 1 year from now, Mac OS 9 will be like Mac OS 7 -- it just won't exist anymore, and nothing will be supported under it.

So a long story made short - make the move to OS X. You won't regret it after a while, and it is the future of Macs. I'm running 10.2.3 now, and I'll never go back.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
ONLY new designs will boot X only.
Current new products will continue to boot in 9 until at least June.
Transition when you feel comfortable and when the new OS meets your needs.
There will be a sizeable percentage of Mac users that will stay with 9 for many years as it meets their needs.
YOU are in control of this agenda.
Apple is making X attractive and with the gradual transition X will just get better over time but it's still a work in progress.
OS9 is fast and stable because they aren't tweaking it anymore. There is a huge body of proven solutions. 9 is significantly faster on lower powered machines with less demand on video and processor.
Your 350 Sawtooth will run X fine - if you want to treat yourself get a faster video card and good processor upgrades. You current machine is easily equivalent of a G4 iMac with more flexibility.
Apple is correctly tempting you forward.
You are correctly questioning it...go your own way when it's right.
Go at your own pace :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've only had a Mac for six months and I only had OS9 until OSX Jaguar came out.
I rarely use OS9 and boot into OSX.
But I do have a few OS9 apps that I really don't want to fork out the cash for an OSX version.
Version tracker has many free OSX apps if you take the time and search for them.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Um, correct me if i am wring, but I distinctly heard Mr. Jobs mention that it was X from here on in during the keynote, with no PowerMac exceptions.

Either way, unless you are in pre-press (or any other situation where Quark Xpress is a must have app) X is now the way to go. ProTools 6 is out this month, filling one of the only two major gaps left (Quark being the other), and every other piece of software you might need will be OS X compatible or more likely OS X only from now on.

And Macdoc, you are right, OS X is a work in progress, but what do you think OS 9 was until they discontinued it? What do you think that Windows is? Linux? Or any version of UNIX? All current operating systems are works in progress, they have to be because technology is always evolving. OS 9 has some severe limitations, ones that are near impossible (if not totally impossible) to get around and make it very unattractive to developers and users. A new codebase was needed, and that is what OS X is.

--PB

[EDIT: Clarification on X Only: New Macs will only be booting X, the machines in store inventory and in the channel so everything except the new 12 and 17 inch powerbooks) will still Boot OS 9. Of course, with PowerMac updates expected by the end of february and iMac/eMac updates expected even sooner, it looks to me like OS 9 is soon to be relegated to Classic Mode only.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Jordan wrote:
"I've only had a Mac for six months and I only had OS9 until OSX Jaguar came out."

I've had my PowerBook for four months now, and I've never booted into OS9; heck, I don't even have a Classic environment installed :D

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Chealion: Can't wait till Quark releases XPress 6 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't wait move to InDesign 2.02 now it is a far superior program

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>macspectrum : For DTP, pre-press and printing markets, OS X still needs to come a long way in terms of stability, native apps and utilities and FONTS !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DTP: See above - InDesign 2.02
Stability : ? Unix
Native Apps : Over 5000 native apps (Announced MWSF 2003)

Fonts: Extensis Suitcase 10, the world?s best selling font manager, takes the work out of working with fonts. Packed with automated features that make activating, organizing and previewing fonts a snap, Suitcase is the fastest way to work with fonts in today?s creative applications. Now, Suitcase 10 provides true font management for Mac OS X, supporting both OS X and Classic applications.
Suitcase 10

P.S. - This post is a part of my personal journy to turn people off of Quark and on InDesign as I have used both and experience a more lovable Apple like experience with InDesign. Not to mention that Quark is so far off the mark with a Native OS X that it is rediculous. Quark is not the superior program. IMHO

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like few of you who talk about pre-press actually work in a professional pre-press environment. InDesign? sounds great to me (i've never liked quark either), but it will be a long time before the big houses make the move.

in business, if it ain't broke, it don't need fixin.

·
Registered
256 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> This post is a part of my personal journy to turn people off of Quark and on InDesign as I have used both and experience a more lovable Apple like experience with InDesign. Not to mention that Quark is so far off the mark with a Native OS X that it is rediculous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Heart, I'm pretty disappointed that Quark hasn't got a X version of the application out, not even a beta for users to test. I don't mind waiting for a well designed, well thought out, and stable version of the application, especially at their rediculously expensive upgrade prices, but following Quark's recent history, version 4.0 was a mess on first release, and version 5.0, that was lack-luster release. I'm considering more and more moving to InDesign but I'm also tied to fulfilling my clients needs. I think there's got to be some tension brewing between Quark and Apple.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Can't wait till Quark releases XPress 6, so I can get my home computer moved over to X and my dad will be able to enjoy the thrills of using X!
(Changing the Start Up Disk gets very annoying though :()

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
It won't just be Quark 6 you will be waiting for.

For DTP, pre-press and printing markets, OS X still needs to come a long way in terms of stability, native apps and utilities and FONTS !

One day we shall all get there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts