ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OS X 10.9 to Include Siri and Maps Integration - Mac Rumors

Earlier this month, MacRumors had reported that early logs have indicated that Apple is already testing early builds of OS X 10.9.

With OS X 10.9, Apple appears to be continuing the theme of bringing iOS features into OS X. According to 9to5Mac, early builds are showing that both Siri and Maps are being integrated into the newest version of the Mac operating system.
Early builds in testing of the next-generation Mac operating system, OS X 10.9, point to Siri and Maps integration coming to Mac computers next year, according to our reliable sources.
Apple already offers Dictation and Text-to-Speech, but Siri integration would presumably offer Mac users voice-command and search functionality to Mac users.

Meanwhile, Maps integration indicates that Apple will offer the service to developers to incorporate into their own Mac apps. Its not clear whether or not Apple would offer its own stand-alone mapping app for the Mac.

A release date for OS X 10.9 is currently unknown, but Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X. If Apple follows their pattern for OS X 10.8's launch, we could see early OS X 10.9 developer previews in early 2013 and a final release in the middle of the year.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
exactly.. not something that will be appreciated for those who dont refresh their machines every 12 months.. This just means more machines will become legacy quicker. that is not good news.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in agreement there. It just seems the market wants something new every year and if they don't bring out something every year companies are looked at as failures.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I don't exactly see this as new... Apple has been on a roughly annual upgrade cycle for the last 3 versions of OS X... And even before that I'm not sure what the longest time between releases has been but I don't think they've ever been more than 2 years apart...

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Just to correct my previous post it's only been annual for the last 2 versions, though the earlier versions were all on annual or less cycles (this didnt really slow down until 10.4-10.5 with the transition from PowerPC to intel.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
I thought I read somewhere once that every operating system is able to run on a Mac up to 7 generations old or something... I SWEAR that was their old standard and one of the reasons I bought my first Mac seven years ago this December...
good luck with that.. Mountian lion screw a lot of people..
Lion not so much
In order to install Mac OS X 10.7 you will need:

Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
2GB of RAM
Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later with the Mac App Store installed
At least 4GB of additional disk space to accommodate the download, but more is obviously recommended

Mountain Lion did big time.
64-Bit Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better required
Ability to boot into OS X 64-bit kernel
Advanced GPU chipset required
Internet connection required to download and install OS X 10.8

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

I assume with 10.9 the cull list will be drastically larger and a lot more upset users..
the worst is that software manufactures will follow, which makes things worse.

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
A quick glance has me thinking this is a bells and whistles update.

I like to find an OS that works for me and stick with it. Currently about to jump from Tiger to Snow Leopard. None of the three OSs ahead of that seem to have any mind shattering improvements to offer.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
You do all remember that Apple is a business, right? :D A tremendously successful hardware business. Their ability to remain in business, not to mention to continue reporting spectacular earnings to all their shareholders, hinges directly on their success at selling you and I shiny new computers, iGadgets etc. As the hardware improves, so does the operating system...it's a continuous cycle. At some point, the new OS simply cannot continue to support the old hardware - it stops making fiscal sense, both because it doesn't drive new hardware sales AND it becomes increasingly difficult to do on a technical level.

Wishing it were otherwise is more or less wishing that Apple will fail; they cannot stay in business if they don't sell more hardware, which is not to say that YOU always have to buy it. They do, of course, do a very good job of inducing you to WANT it - but let's face it, many of us buy new hardware (and update our OS') long before either mechanical failure or true need actually force us to do so.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You do all remember that Apple is a business, right? :D A tremendously successful hardware business. Their ability to remain in business, not to mention to continue reporting spectacular earnings to all their shareholders, hinges directly on their success at selling you and I shiny new computers, iGadgets etc. As the hardware improves, so does the operating system...it's a continuous cycle. At some point, the new OS simply cannot continue to support the old hardware - it stops making fiscal sense, both because it doesn't drive new hardware sales AND it becomes increasingly difficult to do on a technical level.

Wishing it were otherwise is more or less wishing that Apple will fail; they cannot stay in business if they don't sell more hardware, which is not to say that YOU always have to buy it. They do, of course, do a very good job of inducing you to WANT it - but let's face it, many of us buy new hardware (and update our OS') long before either mechanical failure or true need actually force us to do so.
+1

Where is that Like button. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,393 Posts
A quick glance has me thinking this is a bells and whistles update.

I like to find an OS that works for me and stick with it. Currently about to jump from Tiger to Snow Leopard. None of the three OSs ahead of that seem to have any mind shattering improvements to offer.

That's quite a jump and like you, I like an OS that suits me and so far SL has been and is the best. Lot's of little improvements as well.

The only thing missing was the lack of AppleTalk, but a Leopard 10.5.8 Mac we have in use takes care of that.

Meanwhile Lion and Mountain Lion sits seldom used on another drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts