Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far it's not on software update, you'll need to <A HREF="http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate1038.html">download straight from Apple.</A>

Improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers

Enhanced file sharing and directory services for mixed Mac and PC networks

Improved compatibility for third party applications and devices

Previous standalone security updates

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are some of the enhancements delivered with the Mac OS X 10.3.8 Update:

Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.7 in which iChat, Mail, or other network-based applications could take a long time to open.

Addresses an issue in which a computer wouldn't always restart automatically after a power failure, even when the Energy Saver preference option "Restart automatically after a power failure" was selected.

Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.

Improves DVD Player compatibility when playing a movie (using certain ATI Radeon cards) to an external widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Resolves an issue in which a "flicker" could be seen when navigating DVD menus in DVD Player on certain PowerBook G4 computers.

Addresses an issue in which a PowerBook G4 computer would, on rare occasion, wake from sleep with a black screen and not respond to any keyboard, mouse, or trackpad input.

Addresses "jumping cursor" issues that might occur when using your portable computer's trackpad with your thumb, side of thumb, or a "flat" finger.

Resolves an issue on certain Power Mac G5 computers where a fan cycles erratically at unexpected times, such as when [email protected] software is running.

Speeds up Address Book and Mail LDAP lookups that are performed by a Cisco DistributedDirector DNS server.

Addresses an issue that could prevent clients using the Active Directory plugin from binding to their Active Directory server.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I know you like to be first, but this is crazy--it's not even listed on their support page yet! ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
farfisa said:
I know you like to be first, but this is crazy--it's not even listed on their support page yet! ;)
Haha, well, Ken works at an Apple Reseller, what do you expect from such a dedicated employee? ;)

Anyway... it's in Software Update as of now.. downloaded, installed, seems to be okie dokie! :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
well it's up on my software update already.

I'm getting a new machine tomorrow and I need to transfer all of my files over...I hate when they release an upgrade right when I'm switching over!

I wish they had just moved to Tiger! Then I'd have a free copy of it coming to me with my new powerbook! GEEZ!! When are they going to release this thing!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Excuse my ignorance... But I'd want to install this on a Mac Mini too right? I assume they're shipping with 10.3.7?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Howard2k said:
Excuse my ignorance... But I'd want to install this on a Mac Mini too right? I assume they're shipping with 10.3.7?
They are currently, but new orders placed for the Mac mini (and other Macs) will probably start shipping with 10.3.8 within 3 weeks or less from today's release.

And yes, if your Mac mini doesn't have it, download it!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the love, iLabmAn but if it wasn't me I'm sure there were 5 ehMac users lined up to post the news (I'm sure Lars was one of them)

Good luck with the installs, everybody.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Seems fine on the G5 1.8 ...most are tho. ;) We'll wait for feedback for a bit for clients to move. 10.3.6 is still too much top of mind. :mad:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love how zippy OS X always feels right after an update.

·
Registered
294 Posts
seems to me like they are trying to 'complete' the OS X.3.x series, I bet we'll have another bare 10.3.9 update before Tiger...

just my thoughts

ciao

·
Registered
722 Posts
Lars said:
They are currently, but new orders placed for the Mac mini (and other Macs) will probably start shipping with 10.3.8 within 3 weeks or less from today's release.

And yes, if your Mac mini doesn't have it, download it!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Jaguar got to 10.2.8, if I do remember correctly, JUST before Panther was released. I remember because I was selling my laptop and getting my new one right at that time. I was so close I qualified for the $30 software upgrade.\

Does this mean Tiger is coming any day now?!!!

I guess I'm out of luck anyway, my laptop just shipped yesterday. I doubt I'll be within the window of cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yup, Pamela, Jaguar got as high as 10.2.8. Previous version (10.1) made it to 10.1.5

Installed the update on my work machine, seems fine, although I have noticed an oddity (may be nothing) that sometimes opening finder windows... stutter ever so slightly. of course, it may be something from before than I just didn't notice. However, it isn't always like that, so times they are very zippy fast too. Kinda jumps back and forth.

Nothing to really worry about. It may just be this Mac...

Otherwise, everything is just fine after the update. (iMac G4/800 w 256 RAM)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Does this mean Tiger is coming any day now?!!!
I knew you were going to say that directly after you mentioned "10.2.8 was just before Panthers' release." ;)

No, Tiger is still due for the first half of 2005, probably not before May at least.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
No, Tiger is still due for the second half of 2005.
I think you mean Tiger is still due for the first half of 2005, which we are presently in. Although most reports are placing Tiger being ready late May, or in June for WWDC.

I have installed 10.3.8, restarted and no differences noted, just like nearly every other update I've done. (No I didn't repair permissions or run Onyx to make running the several maintenance tasks easier).

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
dibenga said:
This is all fascinating, but has anyone successfully installed it?
Of course. I did.

And Chealion: Yes, that's what I meant. ;) Post edited.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts