Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iMac (27” mid 2011) with an OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Is there a way of getting it up to 10.14?

I have McAffee for my virus protection. The recent up grade protection will not run on OS 10.13.6. I contacted McAffee and they said there was a compatble problem with OS 10.13.6. They suggested that there might be a way of getting it up to 10.4.

Is this possible?

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts

I have McAffee for my virus protection. The recent up grade protection will not run on OS 10.13.6. I contacted McAffee and they said there was a compatble problem with OS 10.13.6. They suggested that there might be a way of getting it up to 10.4.

Is this possible?
There is no reason why you not should not be able to install MacOS 10.13.x High Sierra if you want or really need to as the most recent MacOS version that Mac can run.
I have a similar model, for more details check out here, and I am also running Mavericks 10.9.5:

But first off, there is very seldom a valid reason that you need to be running McAffee McAffee virus protection.
It is not necessary and can drastically slow down your Mac.

If you want to run some virus check software, you can use:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

and/or:
DriveDx

By the way, this is not just my opinion but is supported by many mac sites available on the net

Check out mac-forums.com if you like.

And especially this thread regarding Mac and viruses:

- Patrick
=======

·
Administrator
383 Posts
But first off, there is very seldom a valid reason that you need to be running McAffee McAffee virus protection.
It is not necessary and can drastically slow down your Mac.

If you want to run some virus check software, you can use:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
By the way, this is not just my opinion but is supported by many mac sites available on the net

Check out mac-forums.com if you like.

And especially this thread regarding Mac and viruses:
=======
The information in your last link is over a year old. Lots happen in a year with technology. There have been multiple instances recently of popular apps from the Mac App Store containing malware. These apps also fake reviews to move higher on the rating list. The recommendation is to install an anti virus program, like Mcafee. I personally don’t use one, but I also don’t install any apps from the App Store on my Mac.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
The information in your last link is over a year old. Lots happen in a year with technology. There have been multiple instances recently of popular apps from the Mac App Store containing malware.
That is quite true, the malware is certainly out there and also gets updated, but so does the software applications each time you use it and any member user is certainly free to do some searching and updating and checking at the various sites, and by the way, personally I hardly ever if ever, recommend using software from the Apple Mac App Store. It's often crippled in some way or other and download from the developer site instead. Especially for any commercial or shareware so that the developer gets the full benefits of one's payment.

The recommendation is to install an anti virus program, like Mcafee. I personally don’t use one, but I also don’t install any apps from the App Store on my Mac.
I don't know of any Mac site that actually recommends installing any antivirus program including Mcafee for normal Mac use, and if so, I would certainly highly recommend any user avoid using them or believing anything they say.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
118 Posts
The recommendation is to install an anti virus program, like Mcafee.
That's not what any Macintosh expert recommends. I could write a lot about this, but thanks to this free security course, I don't have to. See:

Do Macs Need Anti-Virus Software?
https://macmost.com/the-practical-guide-to-mac-security-part-9-do-you-need-anti-virus-software.html

As for MacAfee in particular, the last anti-virus comparison test that came from a source that I trust was done eight years ago. So it's out of date, but the results are instructive. Scroll down to the table of results. MacAfee's results were putrid. It only detected 53% of the samples:

Mac anti-virus testing 2014
https://www.thesafemac.com/mac-anti-virus-testing-2014/#more-1308

So, wherever you are getting your advice, you should consider getting it elsewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Is this possible?
Chapeau,
Sorry, I don't know the answer concerning upgrading the OS. However, try calling Apple and see what they have to say. I am quite sure they can answer that question very quickly and probably tell you what the newest version of Mac OS you can install.

The bigger problem you have, is using McAffee. I dumped them a loooooooooong time ago. I have been using Sophos Home, now v10.3.1a1, for many years and it is rock solid, built by one of the best commercial security companies in the world. They give away the home version for free. I copied the following from their website:

What is Sophos Home?
Sophos has long been a leader in securing some of the most-recognizable businesses around the world. Now we’re bringing the powerful, business-grade security that IT professional trust to your home PCs and Macs. Sophos Home takes security beyond old-school antivirus to deliver advanced, real-time protection from the latest ransomware, malicious software, and hacking attempts – all forms of developing cybercrime! Plus, it’s incredibly easy-to-use, whether you’re simply securing your own laptop or managing the security of multiple devices in the rest of the house or around the world.
Note: Sophos Home can protect both Windows and Mac computers. You can add both types of systems to your account.
Do yourself a favor and dump McAffee. Glenn

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the answer concerning upgrading the OS. However, try calling Apple and see what they have to say. I am quite sure they can answer that question very quickly and probably tell you what the newest version of Mac OS you can install.
That information and more is readily available at many sites including:

I have the same iMac model and all 2011 iMacs (27” mid 2011) with Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 is the last and latest version they can run.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That information and more is readily available at many sites including:

I have the same iMac model and all 2011 iMacs (27” mid 2011) with Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 is the last and latest version they can run.

- Patrick
=======
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts