Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00

Currently running OS 10.6.8

Has the time come for a new mini? How much is this little gem worth to help fund the new acquisition? :cool:

Cheers E.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,595 Posts
Hmmm... I don't know if I'd bother doing any processor upgrade without also upping the memory to 4GB, which could be done now anyway, and replacing the HDD with a faster 7200 RPM drive such as one of the cool running WD Black hard drives.

And I'd stay with 10.6.8 as it can now only run 10.7.5 maximum which sucked IMHO with those type of Macs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The OS hurdle is 10.6.8 is no longer compatible with a few websites that I interact with. Thanks for the insight. I will ask at Carbon Computing about the upgrading the processor and while in there ask about the memory install. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
I'd ask other places also, for comparison sake. Unless you really don't need the cash for anything else.

University/college computer stores can be pretty good.

The OS hurdle is 10.6.8 is no longer compatible with a few websites that I interact with. Thanks for the insight. I will ask at Carbon Computing about the upgrading the processor and while in there ask about the memory install. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Please doublecheck if the reason why a Core 2 Duo (which is 64 bit) is not Mavericks compatible may not be the GPU. In that case you're stuck. It will run Lion as it is, but I doubt that would be a good choice, as has been remarked in this thread before. Good luck!
PS: the actual issue may be that the drivers of that GPU are no longer available in Mavericks.

·
Premium Member
15,595 Posts
Maybe try some different Browsers, but then again, we don't know what sort of "interaction" you need.

And there may be some work-arounds for that problem as well.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
hexdiy is correct. the issue isn't your processor its the poop-tacular intel GMA 950 GPU that won't let it run anything newer than 10.7. if you pop 3GB of RAM in it'll run lion, but it won't be fun. it would be tolerable with an SSD, but at that point (upgrading RAM and SSD costs $) why not just buy a used newer mini that can run 10.9 and can see 8GB of RAM etc?

·
Premium Member
15,595 Posts
I'd even question the benefit of installing an SSD in that mini, besides the cost, that mini only supports a Serial ATA 1.5 Gb/s bus speed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone:

For your advice and insights. As a result, the time come for a new mini? How much is this little gem worth to help fund the new acquisition?

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00

Currently running OS 10.7.5

Cheers E.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
hexdiy is correct. the issue isn't your processor its the poop-tacular intel GMA 950 GPU that won't let it run anything newer than 10.7. if you pop 3GB of RAM in it'll run lion, but it won't be fun. it would be tolerable with an SSD, but at that point (upgrading RAM and SSD costs $) why not just buy a used newer mini that can run 10.9 and can see 8GB of RAM etc?
Thank you, Broad, for nailing my suspicions on the Intel GMA 950 GPU.
Recently bought a supposedly defective 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo MacMini with 4GB of memory for 50€. Seemed the former owner had tried to upgrade to Mavericks. No go, of course. Downgraded it to Snow and everything was happy again.
Under Snow Leopard together with Plex, I think it may still serve me well as a media server. Anyhow, thought it was a good deal at the time... Had never owned nor opened a Mini and reckoned the time had come...
Hence my bit of research.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers!

thanks for the update and all. As the much loved mac mini is not going to fetch a kings ransom - I will now investigate to use as a backup drive or media centre for the music library. But then again I did nothing wth the previous mini other than in a storge box :confused:
The link you gave me is well beyond my knowledge. Honestly I could not figure out what it was for. Sorry mate. Perhaps you could write a bit of copy as thought you were speaking to a 12 year old. Cause who knows maybe you built a better mouse trap. :clap:
Take Care E.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
@ However: I use Mac2sell only to get a rough indication. They do indeed exaggerate the value.
@ Lorewren: I' ve never tried Multibeast myself. It is used in Hackintosh circles to help run OSX on non-Apple hardware. Multibeast just may contain 64 bit drivers for the Intel GMA 950 GPU.
Maybe just stick to the media server plan.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Here is an interesting explanation from everymac.com: How to Hack Incompatible Macs to Run Mountain Lion @ EveryMac.com
Most pugnent lines:
At least some of the Macs that are not supported running Mountain Lion likely could run the operating system without difficulty had Apple simply not removed support for 32-bit EFIs as well as written graphics drivers to support the hardware. In an odd twist of fate, Microsoft provides everything needed to natively run Windows 8 on these Macs.
It's certainly a strange world where Microsoft provides better support for older Macs than Apple does.
Now if an authority like Everymac starts swearing in the church...
In the case of the Mac Mini 2.1 with the GMA 950 GPU, it basically means that you could eventually get 64 bit video drivers to work, but still get no solution for video acceleration (Open CL). Meaning (ultra) poor video. Also meaning that if you have Mavericks tasks for the Mini not requiring video acceleration or high video resolutions, the Mini may still be of great use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts