Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was wondering how many users who purchase a new Mac use the installed OS or do you reinstall yourself with the option to install only certain printer drivers and languages? Also, is there any difference between the bundled OS DVD install or a retail OS DVD? I know that my retail Tiger disc will not install iLife and Microsoft Works demo. What else may be different? Which is best?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I never reinstall the OS from a new Mac - complete waste of time, unless you really need those 2GB taken up by extra languages, and maybe that extra 1GB by printer drivers. Of course, some of us do need those few extra gigs of space. ;)

Also, is there any difference between the bundled OS DVD install or a retail OS DVD? I know that my retail Tiger disc will not install iLife and Microsoft Works demo. What else may be different? Which is best?
Correct - retail discs will not install any iLife software, save for iTunes, AFAIK. The bundled discs also install extra "goodies" that may have come with your Mac, such as Big Bang Board Games or a version of Quicken.

FYI - any Tiger 10.4.x retail disc will NOT install on (or boot) any Intel-based Mac. Original discs required to reinstall.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that's new news to me- retail Tiger won't install on my MacBook? Nor boot? Glad you mentioned that before I took a trip for the summer. I supose I should bring my install disk instead of Tiger.
That's another question- what is the best way to have a back up boot system- just bring the bundled disk with? Clone onto an external drive? I could always bring my firewire drive, although that might be a bit much. I do have a small bus driven usb drive for backups (30 gigs).

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Now that's new news to me- retail Tiger won't install on my MacBook? Nor boot? Glad you mentioned that before I took a trip for the summer. I supose I should bring my install disk instead of Tiger.
That's another question- what is the best way to have a back up boot system- just bring the bundled disk with? Clone onto an external drive? I could always bring my firewire drive, although that might be a bit much. I do have a small bus driven usb drive for backups (30 gigs).
The Tiger retail discs are PPC only, and will not work at all in your MacBook (they'll mount, of course, but not much else). For a backup boot drive, I'd suggest a 2.5" drive (bus powered) w/ case that you clone to. That way, if your internal drive fails, you have the backup that you can use.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Even better (or, agreed, if that's what you meant) would be to make that a 2.5" SATA external drive. Then it's a simple swap if the internal drive fails, while waiting for Apple to replace it, etc.

The Tiger retail discs are PPC only, and will not work at all in your MacBook (they'll mount, of course, but not much else). For a backup boot drive, I'd suggest a 2.5" drive (bus powered) w/ case that you clone to. That way, if your internal drive fails, you have the backup that you can use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts