Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased Powerbook G3 from someone here on ehmac and will receive it this week. This may be a silly question, but I am hoping someone can humour me on this one. The drive will be partitioned with OS 9 on one and X on the other. I have never used either of these, nor have I had a partitioned hard drive. How do I start up in one or the other? Also, how do I switch between them? And, given my complete ignorance, is there anything else I should know or that might be useful? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You can start up in either system, you only need to tell the system you're working in which system to boot from next time the computer is started. In 9, under Control Panels find Startup Disk, under X, in System Preferences find Startup Disk and select which you want.

Depending on which G3 you've purchased, you may have to install X on a partition of 8GB or less.

Enjoy the new computer!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks coyote, the drive will already be partitioned when I get the computer and by someone who knows the ins and outs, so that should be fine. This is just a serious upgrade for me, having continued to use 8.6 until now. I hadn't used my computer as much in the last couple of years (back at school)and am completely unfamiliar with newer OS's and such things as partitioned drives. I have just read that I can also hold down the option key to get the startup manager upon startup, and can choose which OS at that point? Any other tips on dealing with both systems on a partitioned drive?

·
Registered
361 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeac5:
... unfamiliar with newer OS's and such things as partitioned drives. I have just read that I can also hold down the option key to get the startup manager upon startup, and can choose which OS at that point? Any other tips on dealing with both systems on a partitioned drive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just made the move to OS X at work in the past couple weeks. I've also got a partitioned HD. Nothing to be overly concerned with. I'd just recommend you upgrade your OS 9.x.x to OS 9.2.2... better compatibility with OS X, I've heard.

Most application installers will seek out the appropriate system folder by 'themselves.' So if the app. is an OS 9.x native (meaning it's designed for OS 9.x'; ie. older apps. like Photoshop 5.5, etc.), the installer will find the partition with OS 9 on it and place itself in an appropriate folder on that partition. If the app. is OS X native it'll do the same thing on the partition that has the OS X system folder --- pretty easy.

I rarely use the 'option key' start-up. But have done it a couple times. If you ever want to switch OS's while you've got your machine on, just change the "Start-Up Disk" in Control Panels (9.x.x) or in System Preferences (X), and then 'Restart' your machine.

So, yup, nothing much to 'deal with.' 2 OS's and 2 partitions, sounds 'interesting' at first BUT it's easier than you may think. Getting use to OS X will be much more interesting/ fun

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
" ... This is just a serious upgrade for me, having continued to use 8.6 until now ..."

OS9 is different from OS 8.6, but not that different. You will be right at home. In my opinion it's a significant improvement on OS8x.

OSX, on the other hand, it a major difference. It usually takes veteran Mac users a week or three where they spend a lot of time in Classic, and then, as if by magic, they then (usually) prefer OSX.

If you have any programs you plan to use in both OS's (or are compatible with both) install them first directly booted into OS9 (ie not via classic in OSX).

In those situations where the same application runs in both OS9 & OSX you can often simply place an alias in your OSX applications folder. This is very handy if you still run OS9 for any significant time.

Generally those apps eventually have an OSX-only version show up sooner or later; run the installer booted into each OS (ie not via classic for OS9). At that point, your OS9 version is probably the final one so you won't usually have to update it again.

It is a very good idea to have each OS on a separate partition, although it's less important now than it was 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeac5:
I have just read that I can also hold down the option key to get the startup manager upon startup, and can choose which OS at that point? Any other tips on dealing with both systems on a partitioned drive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On some G3s and pretty much all G4s this option function will work. It will show individual partitions with OSes on it. It may or may not work depending on which G3 you have.

As well, if there are two OSes on one partition (for example, Classic OS 9 is on the same partition as OS X) there will only be one choice from that partition showing, meaning you will have to change the OS from the Startup items or System Preferences depending on the OS.

:cool:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to Griller, gordguide and Strongblade for your helpful responses to my post. Haven't been in in a few days and just got them. I appreciate them, though. jeac5

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Good evening, jeac5. I too just learned something from the posts of Griller, gordguide and Strongblade. Learning is a lifelong journey........................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.