Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which version of OS 9 has proved to be the most stable. The last version I used prior to moving toOS X was 9.0.4.

I am considering going back to OS 9 as my main operating system as the sluggish performance of OS X 10.2.6 is frustrating me to no end. I have a G3 400 with 512 MB ram and stock harddrive. I was considering a G3 900 upgrade to help with OS X performance but now am leaning away from it as the performance will in all likelihood still not match that of OS 9 on my machine especially if I upgrade my hardrive to a faster one. Under OS 9 there is still some life left in my machine considering I don't need to run the latest versions of software. I have been running 9.2.1 for a couple of days now and the difference in speed is night and day.

At the risk of starting another debate on OS 9 vs X, I see some merit in Macdocs comments on using OS 9 until the performance of the hardware and software improves. I hope to see this happen soon, as I have appreciated the stability of OS X...performance is another matter. It seems that "chasing the holy grail" of acceptable OS X performance requires users to upgrade hardware more frequently than in my opinion is necessary eg. ram upgrades, hardrive upgrades, cpu ugrades, Quartz extreme requirements...and still the performance lags behind my 3 year old Pismo running OS 9. To make matters worse, recent problems with some of the newer hardware Apple has put out e.g. the ridiculously loud Dual MDD's, frying pan 12" PB's, certainly have kept me on the sidelines from buying a new machine.

I understand that sooner or later I will have to move to OS X exclusively if I want to continue using a Mac and I appreciate that it is in many ways a far superior OS. I for one will wait until the 970 machines are out for awhile before spending any more hard earned money for the sake of running OS X at a mediocre level.

Thank god for dual boot machines....have a great weekend all!

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
If you have to use a Pismo for business, then use 9.2.1, it is a very decnet, fast sytem for it.
I wouldnt waste any money on a CPU upgrade for a machine, that also needs a hard drive upgrade , and only 8 mbs of non upgradable vram. if you dont like the current crop of books , wait until next february 2004 and see what's new then.

·
Registered
113 Posts
don't throw good money on an old machine. run os 9.2.2. i have a 500 g4 in my pismo (which i use primarily for consulting in the field) running 10.2.x and it runs fine (my compromise is the vast array of *nix tools vs. os 9 speed). however, i would say it's not worth getting the upgrade unless you can quantify the expenditure for that the performance gain is *not* significant.

otoh, i haven't been impressed with the performance of the current powerbooks. maybe the next rev will be worth the primo bux they're asking...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts